Storing KNO3: Best Practices for Safe Containment

• Thread starter Nimajneb
  • Start date
  • Tags
    chemicals
In summary, the individual received 2lbs of 99.8% Pure KNO3 Powder in a sketchy bag and is looking for a safe place to store it. They considered using a pretzel snack plastic container, but were concerned about it staying dry and being labeled for safety purposes. They also mentioned having a pet bird and desk made of untreated wood in their room. They were advised to use a sealed container made of non-reactive material and keep it away from other chemicals. The individual also mentioned using the KNO3 for rocket fuel in a contest with their cousin and their aspirations to become a rocket scientist. It was recommended to use a sealed container and store it in a dry, cool place. Lastly, there was discussion
Nimajneb
I just got 2lbs of 99.8% Pure KNO3 Powder in the mail. It came in a kind of sketchy bag. I want to contain somewhere safe, so... where should I put it? Is an old Pretzel Snack plastic container good enough, or do I need a good seal?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Not a good idea in a kitchen where someone could be surprised.

A pretzel bag will probably have some salt in it. Not likely to stay dry.

You should keep things in labeled containers with MSDS information.
http://www.sciencelab.com/msds.php?msdsId=9927232
Section 7: Handling and Storage
Precautions:
Keep away from heat. Keep away from sources of ignition. Keep away from combustible material.. Do not ingest. Do not
breathe dust. Wear suitable protective clothing. In case of insufficient ventilation, wear suitable respiratory equipment. If
ingested, seek medical advice immediately and show the container or the label. Avoid contact with skin and eyes. Keep away
from incompatibles such as reducing agents, combustible materials, organic materials, metals.
Storage:
Hygroscopic. Keep container tightly closed. Keep container in a cool, well-ventilated area. Separate from acids, alkalies,
reducing agents and combustibles. See NFPA 43A, Code for the Storage of Liquid and Solid Oxidizers.

Likes berkeman
I should have been more specific.

1. It's a kind of barrel-shaped, transparent, plastic container that used to have pretzels in it. (I washed it out.)
2. I'd put it in my room, which has a fan constantly running. I'm not sure if it would be the optimum place, considering that I have a pet bird, and desk made of untreated wood, although I'd only use the KNO3 out of my room for a precaution for my bird.

Because I got 2lbs and I don't think it'd fit in a bottle. The plastic-barrel was just laying around so I thought I might as well use that.

Nimajneb said:
Because I got 2lbs and I don't think it'd fit in a bottle. The plastic-barrel was just laying around so I thought I might as well use that.
Probably, as it doesn't seem to be equally hydrophile as salt. I still would prefer bottles as they can be closed better. Just keep it apart from other chemicals, e.g. boron. May I ask, what you intend to do with it?

Nimajneb said:
2. I'd put it in my room...

The substance may be toxic to blood, kidneys, central nervous system (CNS).
Repeated or prolonged exposure to the substance can produce target organs damage.
I will not recommend have anything with a health warning in your bedroom.

An non-damaged plastic container and lid is as good as the seal. For example canning jars have a "rubber" gasket where the glass contacts the lid. Soda bottle lids usually have an insert in the cap which does the same thing. The water and CO2 do not leave a soda bottle. Water does slowly leak out of most bottle water bottles which are threaded plastic. The leak is not very noticeable on short time scales. The gasket (or seal) cannot be made of anything that reacts with the chemical.

Completely sealing a container is not necessarily safe either. The container could pop.

A plastic bag inside of a solid container is less likely to fail than either one by themselves.

That's exactly what I did. The KNO3 came in a double sealed bag, so I put that inside of the plastic container.

fresh_42 said:
May I ask, what you intend to do with it?
@Nimajneb -- I would like to know the application as well.

Rocket fuel. Sugar as the combustible and KNO3 as the oxidizer.

My cousin and I are having a rocket contest. (P.S. I want to be a Rocket Scientist. Although Sugar Rockets are probably quite far from actual Rocket Science.)

KNO3 isn't wildly hygroscopic, so any big bottle with a screw cap should be fine. If you're really concerned, you can always wrap a layer of parafilm around the opening.

It's not a dangerous or corrosive substance by itself, but could be poisonous if a large amount was consumed.
Any sealed container will do, and kept in a dry cool place is probably a good idea.

Last edited:
Nimajneb said:
My cousin and I are having a rocket contest.
What level certification do you have from the Tripoli Rocketry Association?

berkeman said:
What level certification do you have from the Tripoli Rocketry Association?

Isn't it only for high power rockets?

I guess so. It came up in the Mentor discussion about this thread...

NVM if it's not applicable here.

1. How should I store my KNO3?

The best way to store KNO3 is in a cool, dry place away from direct sunlight. The ideal temperature range is between 50-80 degrees Fahrenheit. Make sure the container is tightly sealed to prevent any moisture from getting in.

2. Can I use a plastic container to contain my KNO3?

It is not recommended to use a plastic container for storing KNO3. Plastic can react with the chemical and cause degradation or even explosion. It is best to use a glass or metal container that is specifically designed for storing chemicals.

3. How do I dispose of KNO3 safely?

KNO3 is considered a hazardous material and should be disposed of properly. Do not pour it down the drain or throw it in the trash. Contact your local waste management facility for instructions on how to safely dispose of KNO3.

4. What should I do if I accidentally spill KNO3?

In case of a spill, immediately remove any heat source and ventilate the area. Use protective gear, such as gloves and goggles, to clean up the spill. Absorb the KNO3 with a non-combustible material and dispose of it according to local regulations.

5. How long can I store KNO3 before it expires?

KNO3 does not have a specific expiration date, but it can degrade over time. It is recommended to use KNO3 within 5 years of purchase for optimal performance. If the chemical has changed in color or texture, it should be disposed of and replaced with a fresh batch.