Straight lines passing through fixed point

In summary: OMG! Now I realize how simple is this.:rofl: I don't know how I overlooked that I can plug in different values of theta to get a number of eqns and solving any two of them to get the intersection point. At first I couldn't understand what ehild was trying to say. Thanks to both of you! :thumbs:
utkarshakash
Gold Member

Homework Statement

If all the lines given by the equation [itex](3\sin \theta + 5\cos \theta )x+(7\sin \theta - 3\cos \theta )y+11(\sin \theta - \cos \theta)=0 [/itex] pass through a fixed point (a,b) forall theta in R then |a-b|=

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Dividing both sides by (3sin theta + 5cos theta)
[itex]x+ \dfrac{(7\sin \theta - 3\cos \theta)y+11(\sin \theta - \cos \theta)}{3\sin \theta + 5\cos \theta}=0[/itex]

This is of the form L1+λL2 and the fixed point is intersection of L1 and L2. Here x=0 and [itex]y=\dfrac{-11(\sin \theta - \cos \theta)}{(7\sin \theta - 3\cos \theta )}[/itex] However, the difference of the two depends on theta and is not constant. So how can it be fixed?:confused:

Physics news on Phys.org
The line goes through the same point for all θ angles. So it goes through (a,b) when sinθ=cosθ.
Or sinθ=1, cosθ=0. ... Chose two angles and solve for x,y. Then check if that (x,y) is solution for the equation for any θ.

ehild

ehild said:
The line goes through the same point for all θ angles. So it goes through (a,b) when sinθ=cosθ.
Or sinθ=1, cosθ=0. ... Chose two angles and solve for x,y. Then check if that (x,y) is solution for the equation for any θ.

ehild

Suppose I put theta=pi/2 then y=-11/7. Now what do you want me to do?

utkarshakash said:
Suppose I put theta=pi/2 then y=-11/7. Now what do you want me to do?

You got y=-11/7 with the assumption that x=0, which is invalid.

I do not want anything from you. I just tried to help. Again, I suggest to choose two angles, and substitute their sine and cosine into the original equation, and solve the system of two equations for x and y. ehild

ehild said:
You got y=-11/7 with the assumption that x=0, which is invalid.

I do not want anything from you. I just tried to help. Again, I suggest to choose two angles, and substitute their sine and cosine into the original equation, and solve the system of two equations for x and y.

ehild

OK I agree with you. But working backwards(since I know the answer), I get tan theta = -1/5. Now, this angle is very vague which is impossible to guess unless you really know this is the answer.

utkarshakash said:
OK I agree with you. But working backwards(since I know the answer), I get tan theta = -1/5. Now, this angle is very vague which is impossible to guess unless you really know this is the answer.

I don't know what your are talking about. The idea is not to solve for theta. That's not the 'answer'. The answer would be the common intersection point. It's really easy, unlike some of your posts. As ehild suggested, intersect two lines corresponding to different values of theta and then look back and figure out why that intersection point is common for all values of theta. This isn't rocket science. It's simple.

Last edited:
Dick said:
I don't know what your are talking about. The idea is not to solve for theta. That's not the 'answer'. The answer would be the common intersection point. It's really easy, unlike some of your posts. As ehild suggested, intersect two lines corresponding to different values of theta and then look back and figure out why that intersection point is common for all values of theta. This isn't rocket science. It's simple.

OMG! Now I realize how simple is this.:rofl: I don't know how I overlooked that I can plug in different values of theta to get a number of eqns and solving any two of them to get the intersection point. At first I couldn't understand what ehild was trying to say. Thanks to both of you! :thumbs:

Last edited:

1. What is a fixed point?

A fixed point is a point on a line that does not move or change position, regardless of how the line is rotated or translated.

2. How are straight lines defined by a fixed point?

Straight lines passing through a fixed point are lines that always maintain a constant distance from the fixed point and are infinitely long in both directions.

3. Can a straight line pass through more than one fixed point?

No, a straight line can only pass through one fixed point. If it were to pass through more than one fixed point, it would no longer be a straight line.

4. How do you determine the equation of a straight line passing through a fixed point?

The equation of a straight line passing through a fixed point can be determined using the point-slope form (y - y1 = m(x - x1)), where (x1, y1) is the coordinates of the fixed point and m is the slope of the line.

5. What are some real-life examples of straight lines passing through a fixed point?

Some real-life examples of straight lines passing through a fixed point include a satellite orbiting around a planet, a pendulum swinging from a fixed point, and a ruler or straight edge resting on a fixed point to draw a straight line.