Straight Question, Spivak, Integrals

In summary, the conversation was about finding a function f such that f^{```}(x) = \frac{1}{\sqrt{1 + sin^{2}x}}. The answer given in the book was f(x) = \int\left(\int\left( \int \frac{1}{\sqrt{1+sin^{2}x}} dt \right) dz \right)dy, with the integrals evaluated from 0 to x, y, z respectively. The question was about the constants of integration and whether the reasoning used to reach the answer was correct. The response stated that the most general form of such a function would involve
c.teixeira

Homework Statement

Exercice 14-14, 3[itex]^{rd}[/itex] edition, Spivak:

Find a function f such that f[itex]^{```}[/itex](x) = [itex]\frac{1}{\sqrt{1 + sin^{2}x}}[/itex].

The answer acording to the book is :

f(x) = [itex]\int\left(\int\left( \int \frac{1}{\sqrt{1+sin^{2}x}} dt \right) dz \right)[/itex]dy

With the 1[itex]^{st}[/itex], 2[itex]^{nd}[/itex] and 3[itex]^{rd}[/itex] integrals evaluated from 0 to x, y, z respectively.

My question:

aren't they forgetting the constants?

For instance:

(f``)` = [itex]\frac{1}{\sqrt{1 + sin^{2}x}}[/itex] = g(x).

Then if F(x) = [itex]\int\frac{1}{\sqrt{1 + sin^{2}x}}[/itex], with the integral evaluated from a to x.
As g is continuos, F' = g = (f``)`, thus F = f`` + C, by the Mean Value Theorem.

I gave only calculated f``, but I am guessing this is the kind of procedure they use to reach f(x).
So, to my question, what are they doing with the constants of integration?
Is this reasoning correct?

Regards,

c.teixeira

Physics news on Phys.org
The problem, as you stated it, was "find a function". The most general form of such a function would be
[tex]\int_0^x\left(\int_0^y\left(\int_0^z\frac{1}{1+ t^2}dt\right)dz\right)dy+ Cx^2+ Dx+ E[/tex]
for arbitrary constants C, D, and E. But taking C= D= E= 0 gives a[\b] function.

However, what you wrote, with "x" in the integrand rather than "t" is incorrect. I assume that was a typo.

Last edited by a moderator:
HallsofIvy said:
The problem, as you stated it, was "find a function". The most general form of such a function would be
[tex]\int_0^x\left(\int_0^y\left(\int_0^z\frac{1}{1+ t^2}dt\right)dz\right)dy+ Cx^2+ Dx+ E[/tex]
for arbitrary constants C, D, and E. But taking C= D= E= 0 gives a[\b] function.

However, what you wrote, with "x" in the integrand rather than "t" is incorrect. I assume that was a typo.

Yes, that was a typo. Regardless, my doubt is answered.

Thank you,

1. What is a straight question in relation to Spivak's Integrals?

A straight question is a type of question that can be easily answered by using the definition of an integral from Spivak's Calculus textbook. These questions typically involve finding the area under a curve or calculating the value of an integral using the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus.

2. What is the difference between definite and indefinite integrals?

A definite integral has specific limits of integration and gives a numerical value as its result. On the other hand, an indefinite integral does not have limits of integration and gives a general formula as its result. In other words, a definite integral gives a specific answer while an indefinite integral gives a family of possible answers.

3. How do I solve an integral using the substitution method?

The substitution method involves substituting a variable in the integrand with a new variable that will make the integral easier to solve. This new variable is then substituted back into the original variable after integrating. The key is to choose a substitution that will cancel out or simplify the integral.

4. Can I use Spivak's Integrals to solve real-world problems?

Yes, Spivak's Integrals can be applied to solve a variety of real-world problems, such as finding the area under a curve to calculate distance, velocity, or acceleration. Integrals are also used in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics to model and analyze real-world phenomena.

5. What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving integrals?

Some common mistakes to avoid when solving integrals include forgetting to add the "+ C" when integrating indefinite integrals, not changing the limits of integration when using substitution, and not simplifying the integrand before integrating. It is important to take your time and double-check your work to avoid these errors.