Strange glow from TV that is off.

In summary: So if you place your hand on your tv, and take it away, you hand print will be glowing for a few minutes.In summary, the conversation discusses a strange phenomenon where the TV, lightbulb, and fan lightbulbs in the bedroom all glowed with a bluish light after being turned off. It is determined that this is due to phosphorescence, which can linger after the light source is turned off. Additionally, the conversation mentions a form of entertainment called "TV art" where placing a hand against the TV screen can create a ghostly after image. Another TV phenomenon is also discussed, where a black and white TV can create a glow when touched due to phosphorescence.
Artman
I don't know where this will end up, but I am going to start it here. A few nights ago my wife and I where watching TV in the bedroom, we turned off the TV and the light over the bed and went to sleep. After a few minutes (maybe five or ten, I woke up and looked at the TV. It was glowing, but here is the strange part, the lightbulb over the bed was also glowing and so were the fan lightbulbs, which had not been on. They all shared the same bluish glow of the TV, not reflected, but appeared to be internally glowing.

Is this a known phenomenon? I can sort of understand the TV glowing, but what is up with the light bulbs? Can anyone offer some explanation?

Physics news on Phys.org
Artman said:
I don't know where this will end up, but I am going to start it here. A few nights ago my wife and I where watching TV in the bedroom, we turned off the TV and the light over the bed and went to sleep. After a few minutes (maybe five or ten, I woke up and looked at the TV. It was glowing, but here is the strange part, the lightbulb over the bed was also glowing and so were the fan lightbulbs, which had not been on. They all shared the same bluish glow of the TV, not reflected, but appeared to be internally glowing.

Is this a known phenomenon? I can sort of understand the TV glowing, but what is up with the light bulbs? Can anyone offer some explanation?

You didn't say if these light bulbs have a phosphor coatings on them. If they do, then the glow you noticed on them, and on your TV also (assuming it isn't an flat-screen LCD or plasma display) is due to phosphorescence. The light bulbs probably are glowing due to the ambient light when you had other lights in the room or light from the TV when it was on. The phosphorescence can linger for quite a while after the light source is turned off, unlike fluorescence, which is turned off immediately.

Zz.

Thanks ZapperZ, that makes sense. They are the soft white type incandescent lightbulbs, I guess there could be phosphorescence in that coating. It is a strange thing to see though.

If you want to see something even stranger, try a little form of entertainment my cousins and I used to do when we were quite young; "TV art". Place your hand against the television screen, with the television off but the lights in the room on. Close your eyes and cover them with your free hand so that you will have good night vision when the lights go off. Turn off the lights, remove your hand from the screen, and look at the screen. You will see a ghostly after image of your hand there. If you have a fairly large television set, you can press your face against it, and leave and after image of your own silhouette. This can look rather creepy in the dark!

Likes Theisster
Another TV phenomenon which isn't so much a mistery, but I still can't figure out the mechanics of it:

It only happened with a black & white (monochrome) set, but after it was on for a while, a large static build-up would be on the screen. With lights out and the TV off, you could touch the screen and create a glow that started right at your fingertip and then moved out in a circle across the scree (like a ripple in water). Color TV sets don't do this, so I can't continue my experiments. :frown:

This is due too phosphorescence. For Example, when an object such as your television gets a great amount of light exposure, a few minutes after it is turned off it will glow for a short period of time.

1. What causes the strange glow from a TV that is off?

The strange glow from a TV that is off is caused by residual energy from the TV's internal components. This energy can manifest as a faint glow, especially if the room is dark.

2. Is the strange glow from a TV that is off harmful?

No, the strange glow from a TV that is off is not harmful. It is simply a residual energy and does not emit any harmful radiation.

3. Can the strange glow from a TV that is off be a fire hazard?

No, the strange glow from a TV that is off does not pose a fire hazard. However, if you notice any unusual smells or noises coming from the TV, it is important to have it checked by a professional.

4. How can I prevent the strange glow from a TV that is off?

The strange glow from a TV that is off is a natural occurrence and cannot be prevented. However, you can reduce the glow by unplugging the TV or using a power strip to completely turn off the electricity to the TV.

5. Can the strange glow from a TV that is off be a sign of a malfunction?

In most cases, the strange glow from a TV that is off is not a sign of a malfunction. However, if you notice any other unusual behavior from the TV, it is best to have it checked by a professional to ensure there are no underlying issues.