1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Strange Optical Phenomenon (diffraction or something else?) (solved)

1. May 4, 2016 #26
    No you dont get what i am trying to say.
    This is a little tricky and i am not particularly good at explaining it.

But the PROJECTION of ONE ELEMENT.
    Is very similar to the PICTURE of MANY ELEMENTS.

You can think this through yourself you you can just trust me.
    If you had a "bigger" monochromatic light source
    and shone that on the screen you would see a pattern on the screen almost exactly like the pattern in the reflection of the small laser.
    The light source would have to still be parallel but covering a significant potion of the screen.
    I tried a lens to expland the laser beam but it wasnt really good enough.The lens(magnifying glass) was too weak.

Yes i knew what i was talking about.
    The same with this. I am not confusing this.

I am very certain that this
    The PROJECTION of ONE ELEMENT.
    Is very similar to the PICTURE of MANY ELEMENTS.

and
    If you had a "bigger" monochromatic light source
    and shone that on the screen you would see a pattern almost exactly like the pattern in the reflection of the laser.

are true.

Last edited: May 4, 2016
  2. Sep 9, 2017 #27
    I had different results using a plasma tv and iphone flash light. can see, an interference pattern, only sees the color red, two lines forming an X horizontal, in the middle there is no light, even turning the flash light, the angle remains the same. I remembered that, I searched the internet but nothing ... TEST on a Plasma TV, crazy results

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 9, 2017
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted