Strange Quark Decay: Exploring K+ Kaon Decays at A Level

In summary, both K+ → π+ + π0 and K+ → μ+ + νμ are possible decays of the K+ kaon, with branching ratios of approximately 21% and 64%, respectively. This is due to the fact that strange quarks can decay into other quarks, and as long as the neutrino in the second decay is not an anti-neutrino, it does not break lepton number.
HMPARTICLE

Homework Statement

One of the following equations represent a possible decay of the K + kaon.
K+ → π+ + π0
K+ → μ+ + νμ
State, with a reason, which one of these decays is not possible.

The Attempt at a Solution

At first i thought the first decay was not possible, however, i recently learned that strange quarks decay into other quarks ( I am aware that a +kaon is made up of and up quark and anti-strange quark). I say other quarks because I'm not sure which either a strange quark or anti-strange quark decay into. After some further calculations i realized that the second decay is not possible as lepton numbers are not conserved.

So request is, could i have some information on strange quark decay at an A level standard. For some reason i can't find anything in my textbook.

Physics news on Phys.org
HMPARTICLE said:

Homework Statement

One of the following equations represent a possible decay of the K + kaon.
K+ → π+ + π0
K+ → μ+ + νμ
State, with a reason, which one of these decays is not possible.

Both of the decays are possible. As long as the νμ is a neutrino and not an anti-neutrino, it does not break lepton number.

The branching ratio to the first decay is around 21% and to the second around 64%. See http://pdg.lbl.gov/2013/listings/rpp2013-list-K-plus-minus.pdf

Related to Strange Quark Decay: Exploring K+ Kaon Decays at A Level

1. What is strange quark decay and why is it important to study?

Strange quark decay is a process in which a particle containing a strange quark transforms into other particles through weak interactions. It is important to study because it provides insight into the fundamental laws of the universe and helps us understand the behavior of subatomic particles.

2. What are K+ Kaon decays and how are they related to strange quark decay?

K+ Kaon decays are a type of strange quark decay in which a positively charged kaon particle transforms into other particles through the weak interaction. They are related to strange quark decay because kaon particles contain a strange quark and their decays involve the transformation of the strange quark into other particles.

3. How are scientists able to study K+ Kaon decays at the A level?

Scientists are able to study K+ Kaon decays at the A level using particle accelerators, which accelerate subatomic particles to high speeds and then collide them to produce new particles. By analyzing the products of these collisions, scientists can study the behavior and decay of particles such as the K+ Kaon.

4. What have scientists discovered through studying K+ Kaon decays?

Through studying K+ Kaon decays, scientists have discovered important principles of quantum mechanics, such as CP violation, which explains why matter dominates over antimatter in the universe. They have also observed rare decays that provide evidence for physics beyond the Standard Model.

5. How does studying K+ Kaon decays contribute to our understanding of the universe?

Studying K+ Kaon decays contributes to our understanding of the universe by providing evidence for the fundamental laws of nature and helping us develop new theories to explain the behavior of subatomic particles. It also has practical applications, such as in medical imaging and cancer treatment. Furthermore, studying K+ Kaon decays can lead to advancements in technology, such as more efficient particle accelerators.