1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Stress and Strain (Finding the thickness of truss members)

1. Jun 13, 2012 #1

D0m

Hi guys i have a exam coming up soon and stress is starting to kick in. Im good with stress and strain, but im just confused on this question and don't understand what i need to be doing. I've tried every formula and i just cant seem to get question 5 out. The answears for this question is underneath the question.

Please have a look at it and tell me what you think, it will also be much appriciated if can write down a solution for them. The question is in the attachment.

Thanks, Dom

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 14, 2012 #2

PhanthomJay

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

What is the formula for determining axial stress in a member?

4. Jun 14, 2012 #3

D0m

stress= P/A

5. Jun 15, 2012 #4

PhanthomJay

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes.
    The controlling case for stress and axial load is the compression case, since the load is the greatest and the allowable stress is the smallest. So you know P and and you know the allowable stress. Solve for the required cross sectional area of the hollow tube, A, and from that you can determine the required wall thickness from the given data of the tube's diameter.

6. Jun 16, 2012 #5

D0m

I understand what you mean but i just dont know how to get started

7. Jun 16, 2012 #6

PhanthomJay

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

A = P/s. Solve for A. Watch units. What do you get for the area ? Show your work.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook