Stress and Strain (Finding the thickness of truss members)

In summary, the conversation is about a question regarding the formula for determining axial stress in a member. The answer is given as stress= P/A and axial stress= P/A. The solution for this question involves finding the required cross sectional area of a hollow tube and then determining the required wall thickness using the given data of the tube's diameter. The conversation ends with a suggestion to solve for A by using the formula A = P/s and showing the work.
D0m
Hi guys i have a exam coming up soon and stress is starting to kick in. I am good with stress and strain, but I am just confused on this question and don't understand what i need to be doing. I've tried every formula and i just can't seem to get question 5 out. The answears for this question is underneath the question.

Please have a look at it and tell me what you think, it will also be much appriciated if can write down a solution for them. The question is in the attachment.

Thanks, Dom

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    32.7 KB · Views: 1,008
Physics news on Phys.org
What is the formula for determining axial stress in a member?

stress= P/A

D0m said:
axial stress= P/A
Yes.
The controlling case for stress and axial load is the compression case, since the load is the greatest and the allowable stress is the smallest. So you know P and and you know the allowable stress. Solve for the required cross sectional area of the hollow tube, A, and from that you can determine the required wall thickness from the given data of the tube's diameter.

I understand what you mean but i just don't know how to get started

A = P/s. Solve for A. Watch units. What do you get for the area ? Show your work.

1. What is the difference between stress and strain?

Stress is the amount of force applied to a material, while strain is the resulting deformation or change in shape of the material.

2. How do you calculate the stress of a truss member?

The stress of a truss member can be calculated by dividing the applied force by the cross-sectional area of the member.

3. What factors affect the stress and strain of a truss member?

The stress and strain of a truss member are affected by the material properties of the member, the magnitude and direction of the applied force, and the geometry and dimensions of the member.

4. What is the importance of finding the proper thickness of truss members?

Finding the proper thickness of truss members is crucial for ensuring the structural integrity and stability of the truss system. If the members are too thin, they may fail under the applied loads, while if they are too thick, it can result in unnecessary weight and cost.

5. How can we find the thickness of truss members?

The thickness of truss members can be found by using equations that take into account the material properties, applied loads, and desired safety factor. These equations can also be solved iteratively using computer software or by conducting physical tests on prototypes.