1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Stress and Strain Test

1. Jan 5, 2010 #1
    I need to draw a stress and strain graph. New to physics, so would like to know if i am on the right line and require a bit of help for the last few questions

These are the values I have:

Diameter - 10.02mm
    Original Length - 50mm
    Extension -10mm
    Diameter After Test - 6.76mm
    Max Load - 42.7 kN
    Break Point - 31 kN

Found the cross sectional area to be - 78.85

So for the maximum tensile stress, i done

42700/78.85 = 541.5 MPa .... Is this correct?

How do i go about calculating the strain for this value so i can plot it on my graph. I know the formulas, but wasnt given a extension at the Max Load?

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 5, 2010 #2

PhanthomJay

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

There is a differenve between the engineering stress-strain curve and the true stress-strain curve. The engineering stress-strain curve does not take into account the 'necking down' of the cross sectional area, whereas the true stess -strain curve does. The engineering curve is most often used. Your calc for the max stress is correct. if you weren't given any intermediate extension values as a function of stress, you can't do much with a plot of the curve. Was the the 10 mm extension at the break point, or max load point, or other point?

4. Jan 5, 2010 #3
    10mm was the final extension, so a total of 60mm, after it had broken.

And i am trying to calculate the engineering stress and engineering strain. Thanks

Last edited: Jan 5, 2010
  5. Jan 5, 2010 #4

PhanthomJay

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

If that's all the info you have, you can compute the stress-strain only at the break point (engineering stress at break point = 31000/78.85 MPa, and strain at break point = 10/50). You don't have much else to work with.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook