How Do I Correctly Calculate and Plot Stress-Strain for a Physics Test?

In summary, the conversation discusses the need to draw a stress and strain graph and the values provided for this task, including the diameter, original length, extension, diameter after test, max load, and break point. The cross sectional area is also mentioned, as well as the calculation for maximum tensile stress. The discussion also touches on the difference between the engineering and true stress-strain curves and the lack of information given for intermediate extension values. Ultimately, there is not enough information provided to accurately plot the curve, but the engineering stress and strain at the break point can be calculated.
MCooltA
I need to draw a stress and strain graph. New to physics, so would like to know if i am on the right line and require a bit of help for the last few questions

These are the values I have:

Diameter - 10.02mm
Original Length - 50mm
Extension -10mm
Diameter After Test - 6.76mm
Max Load - 42.7 kN
Break Point - 31 kN

Found the cross sectional area to be - 78.85

So for the maximum tensile stress, i done

42700/78.85 = 541.5 MPa ... Is this correct?

How do i go about calculating the strain for this value so i can plot it on my graph. I know the formulas, but wasnt given a extension at the Max Load?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
There is a differenve between the engineering stress-strain curve and the true stress-strain curve. The engineering stress-strain curve does not take into account the 'necking down' of the cross sectional area, whereas the true stess -strain curve does. The engineering curve is most often used. Your calc for the max stress is correct. if you weren't given any intermediate extension values as a function of stress, you can't do much with a plot of the curve. Was the the 10 mm extension at the break point, or max load point, or other point?

10mm was the final extension, so a total of 60mm, after it had broken.

And i am trying to calculate the engineering stress and engineering strain. Thanks

Last edited:
MCooltA said:
10mm was the final extension, so a total of 60mm, after it had broken.
If that's all the info you have, you can compute the stress-strain only at the break point (engineering stress at break point = 31000/78.85 MPa, and strain at break point = 10/50). You don't have much else to work with.

1. What is a stress and strain test?

A stress and strain test is a scientific method used to measure the mechanical properties of a material, such as its ability to withstand external forces and its deformation under those forces.

2. What are the applications of a stress and strain test?

Stress and strain tests are used in various industries, such as engineering, materials science, and biomechanics, to evaluate the strength and durability of different materials and structures. They are also commonly used in research and development to understand the behavior of new materials and to improve their properties.

3. How is a stress and strain test performed?

The test typically involves placing a material specimen under controlled external forces, such as tension, compression, or torsion, and measuring its response in terms of stress and strain. This can be done using specialized equipment, such as a universal testing machine, and following standardized testing procedures.

4. What is the difference between stress and strain?

Stress refers to the internal force per unit area that a material experiences when subjected to external forces, while strain is the measure of the material's deformation under those forces. In simpler terms, stress is the force applied to the material, while strain is the resulting change in the material's shape or size.

5. What are the factors that can affect the results of a stress and strain test?

The results of a stress and strain test can be influenced by various factors, including the type and properties of the material being tested, the testing conditions (e.g. temperature, humidity), and the equipment and techniques used. It is important to carefully control and account for these factors to ensure accurate and reliable test results.