Calculate the stress in the duralumin rod

In summary, a duralumin rod with a diameter of 50mm is loosely placed inside a mild steel tube with an outside diameter of 60mm. If the steel tube is turned down to 55mm over half its length, and both the rod and tube are the same length, the stress in the duralumin rod and the stress in each portion of the tube can be calculated using the formula force=stress in duralumin*area of duralumin+stress in steel*area of steel and the given values for E (modulus of elasticity) for steel and duralumin. The stress in the duralumin rod is calculated to be 101,859,163.6N/m^2, while the
cyrus35

Homework Statement

a duralumin rod of 50mm diameter is a loose fit inside a mild steel tube of 60mm outside diameter. if the steel tube is turned down to 55mm diameter over one half its length, calculate the stress in the duralumin rod and the stress in each portin of the tube due to an akial load of 20KN. both rod and tube are the same length. E for steel=196GN/m^2 and E for duralumin = 126GN/m^2.

Homework Equations

force=stress in duralumin*area of duralumin+stress in steel*area of steel
strain in steel=strain in duralumin

The Attempt at a Solution

stress in duralumin=load/area of duralumin
=20000/0.001963495409
=101,859,163.6N/m^2
and I am stuck any help please

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to Physics Forums.

Are you sure you reported the full question correctly? Or, more to the point, are you sure you reported all of it? I'm interested in why you need E for the two materials.

For example: It is not clear from what you stated if the force is applied to just the tube, just the rod, both equally, or just what.

Anyway, a naïve reading would suggest you simply have two different areas for the cross section of the tube. So the stress just has two values.

yes that's the whole question as it was given to our class.

i think my attempt above was wrong(wrong path)

i think my attempt above was wrong(wrong path)

Related to Calculate the stress in the duralumin rod

1. How do you calculate the stress in a duralumin rod?

The stress in a duralumin rod can be calculated by dividing the applied force by the cross-sectional area of the rod. This will give the stress in units of force per unit area, such as pounds per square inch (psi) or newtons per square meter (Pa).

2. What is duralumin and why is it used in rods?

Duralumin is a type of aluminum alloy that contains small amounts of copper, magnesium, and manganese. It is known for its high strength, low density, and good corrosion resistance, making it a popular material for structural components like rods.

3. How is the cross-sectional area of a duralumin rod determined?

The cross-sectional area of a duralumin rod can be determined by measuring the diameter of the rod and using the formula for the area of a circle (A = πr^2) to calculate the area.

4. What is the difference between stress and strain?

Stress is a measure of the force applied to a material, while strain is a measure of the resulting deformation or change in shape of the material. Stress and strain are related through the material's elastic modulus, which describes its ability to resist deformation under stress.

5. How does stress affect the mechanical properties of a duralumin rod?

High levels of stress can cause a duralumin rod to deform or break, depending on the material's strength and the amount of force applied. Stress can also affect other mechanical properties of the rod, such as its stiffness and ability to withstand fatigue and wear.