Stress for v-band clamp under loading

• Thread starter formula428
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Stress
In summary, the conversation discussed the stresses on a v-band clamp when pressure is increased. The speaker proposed treating the clamp as an effective channel member in flexure and using a formula to calculate the stresses. However, they mentioned that the stresses calculated were high and questioned if they were doing it correctly. They also requested a picture or drawing of the specific clamp and asked about the forces acting on it.
formula428
I have a v-band clamp and I'm wanting to know the stresses for such a section. I'm interested in the forces and resultant stresses on the clamp from the flange and plug (inside the v band) opposing each other as pressure is increased. I thought of treating the section as an effective channel member in flexure such that the section is bending about an asymmetrical axis. Think of it as having a U, turning it upside down and then applying force/moment pushing down on the web.

However, the stresses I'm getting are really high. Maybe I'm calculating it wrong?

Right now I'm using (6 P L) / (b h^2) and treating the center "web" to simply be a rectangle.

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
They are tricky things to analyse properly .

Let us see a picture or a drawing off the particular clamp that you are interested in .

What forces do you think are acting in the clamp ?

Here's a rough FBD and my thoughts.

Attachments

• Clamp FBD.jpg
    Clamp FBD.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 692

1. What is a v-band clamp and how does it work?

A v-band clamp is a type of fastener used to secure two cylindrical objects together. It consists of a circular band with a v-shaped profile and a captive nut or bolt. When tightened, the v-band clamp compresses the two objects together, creating a seal or connection.

2. How does stress affect a v-band clamp under loading?

Stress can cause the v-band clamp to deform or fail under loading. This can occur if the clamp is not properly sized or if the applied load exceeds the clamp's maximum capacity. Stress can also cause fatigue in the clamp over time, leading to cracks or fractures.

3. What factors should be considered when selecting a v-band clamp?

When selecting a v-band clamp, it is important to consider the material, size, and load capacity. The material should be able to withstand the operating conditions and corrosion resistance requirements. The size of the clamp should be appropriate for the objects being connected, and the load capacity should be sufficient to handle the expected forces.

4. Can a v-band clamp be reused?

In most cases, v-band clamps can be reused as long as they are not damaged or worn. It is important to inspect the clamp for any signs of wear or deformation before reusing it. If the clamp shows signs of damage, it should be replaced to ensure a secure connection.

5. How can stress on a v-band clamp be reduced?

To reduce stress on a v-band clamp, it is important to properly size and install the clamp. The clamp should be tightened to the manufacturer's recommended torque and checked periodically for any signs of loosening. Additionally, using a clamp with a higher load capacity than what is required can help to minimize stress on the clamp.