Stress tensor rotation/shear stress

In summary: Then, I would take the dot product of that vector with the normal to the plane to get the shear stress in that direction. But I would need to see a picture of the dislocation to be sure. I understand that. But, what I need to do is to dot the shear stress vector with a unit vector in the slip direction. Then, I would take the dot product of that vector with the normal to the plane to get the shear stress in that direction. But I would need to see a picture of the dislocation to be sure. Thanks for your help.
sthoriginal
Hi. I have a huge problem and without solving it I can't move forward. I will appreciate any help.

Having the stress tensor S:

163.666557052527 -63.0272557558942 0.000000000000000E+000
-63.0272557558942 70.3802282767392 0.000000000000000E+000
0.00000000000000 0.00000000000000 0.000000000000000E+000

σ11 - North, σ22 - East, σ33 - Down

I have to calculate the normal stress and shear stress in slip direction for this focal mechanism

α - strike = 315°, β - dip = 73°, and λ - rake(slip) = 55°.

I think I know how to calculate the normal stress but I have no idea how to compute the shear stress in slip direction (55°)

Please help!

M.

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to Physics Forums

You need to determine the components of a unit normal to your plane. To get the stress vector on the plane, you then dot the stress tensor with the unit normal. The normal component of the stress vector is then determined by dotting the stress vector with the unit normal. The shear component of the stress vector is whatever is left over. So, if [itex]\vec{\sigma}[/itex] is the stress tensor, [itex]\vec{n}[/itex] is the unit normal, and [itex]\vec{s}[/itex] is the stress vector on the plane, then
[tex]\vec{s}=\vec{\sigma}\centerdot \vec{n}[/tex]
Normal component of stress vector = [itex]\vec{s}\centerdot \vec{n}=\vec{n}\centerdot \vec{\sigma}\centerdot \vec{n}[/itex]

Shear stress on plane = [itex]\vec{s}-(\vec{s}\centerdot \vec{n})\vec{n}[/itex]

Thanks very much for your reply. I really appreciate that.
I understand everything what you've just put there. the only one thing I can't get is when should I use the rake angle to calculate stress in dip direction?

I know I should use these direction cosines for the normal to the plane :
n=
| cos(strike)*sin(dip) |
| -sin(strike)*sin(dip) |
| cos(dip) |

The using my initial vector:

163.666557052527 -63.0272557558942 0.000000000000000E+000
-63.0272557558942 70.3802282767392 0.000000000000000E+000
0.00000000000000 0.00000000000000 0.000000000000000E+000

and n I can calculate the traction vector on that plane, and from that the normal to the plane (following your equation). However, using your shear stress equation, I will only get the shear stress in dip direction. Could you please help me resolve it in the slip direction? Any help will be hugely appreciated>

Thanks in advance

Sorry. I understand that the strike and dip identify the specific plane upon which you are determining the traction vector. But, I'm not familiar with the term rake or slip. I'm guessing you are trying to resolve the shear component of the traction vector into its component in a particular direction within the plane. Maybe you can help me by defining the slip/rake direction.

Chet

Hi Chat,

Thanks for your reply.

The slip is the direction in which the dislocation moves, usually measured from the direction of the strike (I attached two images). And what I need to do is to resolved the traction vector into its shear component in this particular shear direction within the plane.

Thanks a lot for your help

Attachments

• rake2.jpg
    rake2.jpg
    11.5 KB · Views: 659
  • strike_dip_slip.png
    strike_dip_slip.png
    6.6 KB · Views: 680
sthoriginal said:
Hi Chat,

Thanks for your reply.

The slip is the direction in which the dislocation moves, usually measured from the direction of the strike (I attached two images). And what I need to do is to resolved the traction vector into its shear component in this particular shear direction within the plane.

Thanks a lot for your help

I'm not sure. If I had to guess, what I would do would be to dot the shear stress vector with a unit vector in the slip direction.

1. What is a stress tensor?

A stress tensor is a mathematical representation of the distribution of forces acting on a material. It is a symmetric matrix that describes both the magnitude and direction of stresses at every point within a material.

2. How is stress tensor rotation related to shear stress?

Stress tensor rotation refers to the rotation of the stress coordinate system, which can change the orientation of the stresses within a material. Shear stress is a type of stress that occurs when two forces act parallel to each other in opposite directions, resulting in a shearing or sliding motion. Stress tensor rotation can affect the magnitude and direction of shear stress within a material.

3. Why is it important to understand stress tensor rotation?

Stress tensor rotation is important because it can impact the mechanical properties and behavior of a material. Changes in stress orientation can result in different stress distributions and may affect the overall strength and stability of a material.

4. How is stress tensor rotation measured?

Stress tensor rotation can be measured using strain gauges or other sensors that can detect changes in strain or deformation of a material. These measurements can then be used to calculate the rotation of the stress coordinate system.

5. What are some practical applications of stress tensor rotation and shear stress?

Stress tensor rotation and shear stress are important considerations in various industries, including engineering, materials science, and geology. They are used to analyze and predict the behavior of materials under different stress conditions, which can help in the design and development of structures, machines, and other products. In geology, stress tensor rotation and shear stress are important for understanding the mechanics of tectonic plate movements and the formation of geological structures.