String of satellites transits moon?

In summary: Try averting your telescope slightly and seeing if that changes anything.In summary, the author was observing satellites while the moon was rising and noticed a string of them. He does not know what they are or what they are used for, but if the author can provide more specific information, he can positively identify the satellites.
micahgtb
I was out observing tonight with my Orion Skyquest 8" Dobsonian. I was observing the moon, when I happened to notice a string of satellites transiting the moon. It is not abnormal for me to observe satellites in Earth orbit that transit the moon with my scope but it is usually one at a time. I did not have time to count them but they appeared something like this.

ssss ssss ssss

It was either three or four in a row separated by a bit of space, like I have illustrated above. Does anybody have an idea of what these satellites are and what they are used for?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
If you give me precise details of the observation, I can positively ID the satellites for you:
Location.
Exact time.

Location was slightly SE 45° 2629' North 122° 693' West. The time is a bit tricky as I had temporarily lost my phone in the field I was observing at but my best guess would be around 10:05pm - 10:35pm.

So that's near Portland, OR? I have the moon rising after midnight.

[edit] Er, wait - it was pulling the time zone from Windows. I still have it rising around 10:30, unless you don't do DST there. But I'm not seeing any satellites coming close to it around that time.

Last edited:
I was observing right when the moon was rising as the horizon at my location was very low. It definitely could have been later, I tried to find them on Starry Night Pro Plus 6 to no avail (although it seems to me that the timing is a bit off). And given their vector they had to be in orbit and not inside the atmosphere. It was just the grouping that confused me. Thank you for help anyway!

I'm using Starry Night 5. I didn't see any transits that night at all. It is possible they were too dim to be displayed by Starry Night (you would have seen it sillouhetted).

There is all sorts of crap up there - often when a rocket goes up a booster will end up in orbit with the satellite it launched, at least for a while. I've particularly noticed with the ISS that there is often a trailer or two with it.

Is it possible to rule out a flock of birds in the distance (you mentioned the moon was very close to the horizon)? I know you mentioned, "given their vector they had to be in orbit and not inside the atmosphere." But it is conceivable that if earthbound objects were flying somewhat toward or away (most likely away in this case) from the observing point they might appear, through the telescope, to have an inclination similar to objects in orbit.

1. What is a string of satellites transits moon?

A string of satellites transits moon refers to a phenomenon in which a group of satellites orbiting the Earth pass in front of the moon, creating a visible string of lights in the night sky.

2. How often do string of satellites transits moon occur?

The frequency of string of satellites transits moon events depends on the number of satellites in orbit and their orbital paths. Typically, these events can occur a few times a year.

3. How many satellites are needed to create a string of satellites transits moon?

The number of satellites needed to create a string of satellites transits moon varies, but typically it takes at least 10-20 satellites to create a visible string of lights in the sky.

4. Can anyone see a string of satellites transits moon?

Yes, anyone with a clear view of the night sky can potentially see a string of satellites transits moon. However, the visibility of the event may depend on factors such as location, weather, and the brightness of the satellites.

5. How can I track when a string of satellites transits moon will occur?

There are various websites and apps that can provide information on upcoming string of satellites transits moon events. You can also check with your local astronomy club or observatory for more accurate and detailed predictions.