1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Strong base weak acid titration

1. Aug 9, 2008 #1
    Hi All

I have a question that I require an answer to. For the above titration, concentration of A-(conjugate base of acid) is the same as concentration of HA at half equivalence. It is at this point that pka=ph of the solution. I agree to this conclusion, but why is the concentration of A- equals to concentration of HA at this point? Any help will be deeply appreciated. Thanks.
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 9, 2008 #2

Staff: Mentor

Write reaction equation, think in terms of the neutralization stoichiometry. This is a weak acid, so it dissociates very slightly on its own - so slightly, that its own dissociation can be ignored.
  4. Aug 9, 2008 #3
    so, let HA be a weak acid

let x be the amount of acid dissociated. so starting with 1 mol of HA

------------HA <-> H+ + A-
    conc--------1-x ----x ---x

in order to achieve the required concentration, conc of HA = conc of A-

0.5 mol of H+ is displaced which requires 0.5 mol of Naoh which is also half of total naoh required, am i right?
  5. Aug 9, 2008 #4

Staff: Mentor

You are mostly right, but you are using ICE instead of following simple stoichiometry.

HA + NaOH -> NaA + H2O
  6. Aug 9, 2008 #5
    You can see this pretty easy from the Henderson Hasslebach equation:

pH = pKa + log ([A-]/[HA])

When [A-] is equal to [HA], you get log 1 in the above equation which is equal to 0. So pH = pKa. The Henderson Hasslebach equation is derived from the standard Ka equilibrium equation, and you can see that derivation if you want a deeper understanding.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?