Strongest compressive strength material

In summary, the conversation above discusses the highest compressive strength ever measured in any material. The participants are specifically wondering if there are any man-made materials with gigapascal-level compressive strengths. Suggestions for potential materials include ceramic, diamond, and aluminum oxide. It is also mentioned that neutronium, a natural material, would have the highest compressive strength but it is not considered as it is not man-made.
WallyWerkle1969
Hi guys,

Would like to know what's the highest compressive strength ever measured in any material, and what material that might be. Specifically wondering if there are any materials with gigapascal-level compressive strengths. Thanks!

Rgds,
Wally

Engineering news on Phys.org
Do you mean actually physically measured as opposed to calculated? If not, neutronium would pretty much take the prize.

Danger said:
Do you mean actually physically measured as opposed to calculated? If not, neutronium would pretty much take the prize.
Oops, guess I should have clarified: I'm looking for man-made materials, so neutronium doesn't count (for now...).

WallyWerkle1969 said:
Oops, guess I should have clarified: I'm looking for man-made materials, so neutronium doesn't count (for now...).
Of course, if there are any natural materials that are stronger but that we've actually physically measured those work as well.

Got it. I can't help. A structural engineer will know. Hang on for a while and one will show up.

I would think it would be some sort of ceramic material. From the small amount of material specs I've looked at, I think diamond is the highest compression allowable I've seen (>110 GPa), but in a more cost-effective setting aluminum oxide (alumina) has a decently high compression allowable.

What is the strongest compressive strength material?

The strongest compressive strength material is graphene, which has a compressive strength of 130 GPa (gigapascals).

How does graphene compare to other materials in terms of compressive strength?

Graphene has the highest compressive strength among known materials, surpassing even diamond and steel.

What makes graphene so strong in terms of compression?

Graphene's exceptional strength in compression is due to its unique atomic structure, which allows it to distribute and withstand force more evenly compared to other materials.

What are some potential applications of materials with strong compressive strength?

Materials with strong compressive strength, such as graphene, can be used for various applications including aerospace, construction, and medical devices where high strength and durability are crucial.

Are there any drawbacks to using materials with strong compressive strength?

One potential drawback of using materials with strong compressive strength is their high cost and difficulty in large-scale production. Additionally, some materials may have low ductility and are more prone to brittle fracture under extreme compressive loads.