1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Struggling with a concept in regards to electric fields

1. Mar 24, 2015 #1
    So I'm trying to figure out the electric field that is acting on a point. This point is .3 m right of a point charge with -2N/C and .8m from a point charge with +4N/C. I've drawn it out, and realize both will have an impact on this object. what the issue I'm having is figuring out a formula to use. I would expect that taking the electric field that the +4N/C charge creates using kq1/r1 and then adding the field the second creates kq2/r2 would then give me the complete field. Would this be correct?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 24, 2015 #2
    There is a principle of superposition in electrostatics, which means fields of different charges can be added together (vectorially) to get the resultant field.

4. Mar 24, 2015 #3

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Please post a sketch of the arrangement, and show how you added the Electric field vectors at the point of interest...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook