Struggling with a concept in regards to electric fields

• Thread starter Shinwasha
  • Start date
So I'm trying to figure out the electric field that is acting on a point. This point is .3 m right of a point charge with -2N/C and .8m from a point charge with +4N/C. I've drawn it out, and realize both will have an impact on this object. what the issue I'm having is figuring out a formula to use. I would expect that taking the electric field that the +4N/C charge creates using kq1/r1 and then adding the field the second creates kq2/r2 would then give me the complete field. Would this be correct?

Answers and Replies

There is a principle of superposition in electrostatics, which means fields of different charges can be added together (vectorially) to get the resultant field.

berkeman
Mentor
So I'm trying to figure out the electric field that is acting on a point. This point is .3 m right of a point charge with -2N/C and .8m from a point charge with +4N/C. I've drawn it out, and realize both will have an impact on this object. what the issue I'm having is figuring out a formula to use. I would expect that taking the electric field that the +4N/C charge creates using kq1/r1 and then adding the field the second creates kq2/r2 would then give me the complete field. Would this be correct?
Please post a sketch of the arrangement, and show how you added the Electric field vectors at the point of interest...