Struggling With College Math: Advice Needed

In summary, the speaker is worried about their performance in a college level math class after receiving a low score on their first test. The test was a "write the question and answer" type, which the speaker is not familiar with as all their previous math tests have been multiple choice. They seek advice and clarification on the grading system from others. They later review the test with the instructor and realize that they lost points for not showing their work, something they were not used to doing due to their reliance on test taking techniques. The speaker thanks those who responded and mentions that they are excited about the class's current topic of parabolas.
temet consce
I’m taking college level math, and I’m worried about my progress. I took my first test in that class last week, and I did terrible. I have always done well in math, but the score I received was the lowest score I’ve ever received any type of test. Our test was “write the question and answer “type question, (not multiple choice) and I’m wondering since this is the first time I’ve ever had this type of test, that this might explain why I did so badly. Can anyone relate to this and/or have any advice?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
I don't understand. What do you mean "write the question and answer"? Aren't you given the question?

Have all your tests before been multiple choice?

The professor writes the questions on the board so that we can solve them. He doesn't only grade based on your answer, he also checks if you performed the correct steps to solve the problem. And yes, all of the math test that I've ever taken in college have been multiple choice.

That sounds reasonable to me, that your professor grades you on the answer you give, plus the work you did to arrive at your answer. I'm surprised that all of your math tests so far have been multiple choice. These kinds of tests are easier to grade, which is why I suppose that some instructors use them.

Without knowing what you were marked down on, it's difficult to say whether the test format change was the main reason for your lower score.

Check how he graded it, then ask him about everything you are unclear about.

I went over the test today with the instructor. It just seems that I got to the correct answers (9 out of 12 questions), but he marked off points because I didn’t make it clear on how I got the answer. I guess that this is a result of using short cuts and taking multiple choice tests for so long. What I used to do was, learn the basic concepts of the material, and just use different test taking techniques. I would always ASE all my exams that way. I just guess that this time around I just have to learn all the material.

By the way guys , thanks for your responses. Sometimes it's hard for me to get back online, because I work full time and go to school full time, but I always have a chance to respond at some point.
Ps. The class just started to work on parabolas, and I'm just stoked!

temet consce said:
And yes, all of the math test that I've ever taken in college have been multiple choice.
That sounds...completely crazy. It doesn't make any sense to have multiple choice questions in math tests.

Related to Struggling With College Math: Advice Needed

What are some tips for struggling with college math?

There are several tips that can help you with struggling with college math. First, make sure you attend all your lectures and take thorough notes. It's also helpful to review your notes after class and ask your professor for clarification on any confusing topics. Additionally, practice as much as you can by doing practice problems and seeking help from tutors or classmates. Finally, don't be afraid to ask for extra help from your professor or teaching assistant if you need it.

How can I improve my understanding of difficult math concepts?

One way to improve your understanding of difficult math concepts is to break them down into smaller, more manageable pieces. Start by identifying the main concepts and then work through each one step by step. It can also be helpful to use visual aids or real-life examples to help you better understand the concepts. Additionally, practicing with different types of problems can also improve your understanding and ability to apply the concepts.

Is it okay to ask for help when struggling with college math?

Absolutely! Asking for help is a sign of strength, not weakness. It shows that you are willing to put in the effort to improve and succeed. Don't hesitate to reach out to your professor, teaching assistant, classmates, or tutors for assistance. They are there to help you and want to see you succeed.

How can I manage my time better when struggling with college math?

Time management is crucial when it comes to succeeding in college math. Start by creating a study schedule that works for you and stick to it. Make sure to prioritize your math coursework and allow yourself enough time to complete assignments and study for exams. It can also be helpful to break up your study sessions into smaller chunks throughout the week instead of trying to cram everything in at once.

What should I do if I feel overwhelmed by my college math coursework?

Feeling overwhelmed is a common experience for many students when it comes to college math. If you are feeling overwhelmed, take a step back and assess the situation. Make a plan to tackle your coursework and break it down into smaller, more manageable pieces. Don't be afraid to ask for help from your professor or classmates if needed. It's also important to take breaks and practice self-care to avoid burnout. Remember that it's okay to ask for extensions or seek additional resources if you need them.