Struggling with Set Theory Proofs? Any Tips?

In summary, the person is having trouble proving certain theorems in a discrete math course. They were enlightened by reading an article a few years ago, and now want to find the article again. However, they are not able to find it anywhere.
Gooolati
Hello All,
I am taking a Discrete math course and am having trouble with set theory proofs. I can do basic ones,
like prove
<a,b,c>=<u,v,w> if a=u, b=v, and c=w. But as soon as it changes even a little bit, I cannot prove it. I was wondering what tips some of you might suggest to me? I do enjoy this course and want to get better at it. Any help is appreciated!

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Can you give some examples of things you can't prove??

Okay, some background on proofs...In about 1960 I read an article in, SCIENTIC AMERICAN and the issue's feature article was, "It can't be prooven that 2 + 2 = 4, but it can be proven that it probably doesn't." On the cover of this issue was some math emblems. This bothered me for years, because I couldn't understand it. Then just a few years I awoke in the middle of the night and had one of those 'night-time' epiphanies and the theory was somewhat clear, maybe not so much, just enough to see a little light. Is anyone familiar with this 'proof', and more directly can anyone help me acquire a copy of this article or the magazine isssue itself. I have contacted SCEINTIFIC AMERICAN but I have been told that I have to have the issue number itself for any help from them. As I remember it was a very enlighting article and I would like to get this more clear at least in my mind.

YesIam said:
Okay, some background on proofs...In about 1960 I read an article in, SCIENTIC AMERICAN and the issue's feature article was, "It can't be prooven that 2 + 2 = 4, but it can be proven that it probably doesn't." On the cover of this issue was some math emblems. This bothered me for years, because I couldn't understand it. Then just a few years I awoke in the middle of the night and had one of those 'night-time' epiphanies and the theory was somewhat clear, maybe not so much, just enough to see a little light. Is anyone familiar with this 'proof', and more directly can anyone help me acquire a copy of this article or the magazine isssue itself. I have contacted SCEINTIFIC AMERICAN but I have been told that I have to have the issue number itself for any help from them. As I remember it was a very enlighting article and I would like to get this more clear at least in my mind.

I don't imagine you see it here?
http://west-penwith.org.uk/misc/sciam2.htm

Or here?
http://www.flickr.com/photos/bustbright/sets/72157618389555836/

Thank you very much - but unfortunately I couldn't find it in either link. But hey, it is promising that some people have saved such things,

In that case your best bet is probably to find a local university library that carries Scientific American and browse through their collection. 120 issues (if it was in the 1960s) isn't that many, right?

I wasn't able to find anything with a search; if I knew the exact wording I might have better luck, but lacking that I suspect you won't do better than browsing.

Hey CR, that's a good idea, thanks a lot...I will do just that.

1. What is set theory?

Set theory is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of sets, which are collections of objects. It is a fundamental theory used in various areas of mathematics, including algebra, topology, and logic.

2. What are the basic concepts in set theory?

The basic concepts in set theory include elements, subsets, union, intersection, and complement. Elements are the objects that make up a set, while subsets are smaller sets contained within a larger set. Union refers to the combination of elements from two or more sets, while intersection is the common elements between two sets. Complement is the set of all elements that are not in a given set.

3. How is set theory used in mathematics?

Set theory is used as a foundational theory in mathematics, providing a framework for understanding the relationships between different mathematical objects. It is used to define and study mathematical structures such as groups, rings, and vector spaces, and is also used in the development of mathematical proofs.

4. What are the different types of sets in set theory?

The different types of sets in set theory include finite sets, infinite sets, empty sets, and singleton sets. Finite sets have a limited number of elements, while infinite sets have an infinite number of elements. Empty sets have no elements, and singleton sets have only one element.

5. How is set theory related to logic?

Set theory and logic are closely related, as set theory provides a foundation for reasoning and making deductions in mathematics. In fact, the basic principles of set theory are often used as axioms in mathematical logic. Set theory also serves as a basis for understanding the concepts of truth, inference, and logical reasoning.