How Do You Calculate the Initial Speed of a Rock Kicked Off a Cliff?

In summary, the problem involves a soccer player kicking a rock horizontally off a 40.0 m high cliff into a pool of water. The player hears the sound of the splash 3.07 s later and is asked to find the initial speed given to the rock. Using the equation for vertical distance, the time for the rock to hit the water is calculated to be 2.857 s. Subtracting this from the original time gives a time of 0.21286 s for the speed of sound to reach the top of the cliff again. With the hypotenuse distance of 73.011 m and the vertical distance of 40 m, the horizontal distance can be calculated. Using the equation for horizontal distance, the initial
Melchior25

Homework Statement

A soccer player kicks a rock horizontally off a 40.0 m high cliff into a pool of water. If the player hears the sound of the splash 3.07 s later, what was the initial speed given to the rock? Assume the speed of sound in air to be 343 m/s.

The Attempt at a Solution

So here is what I did. I first figured out the time it takes for the rock to hit the water by using the equation.

\frac{1}{2}gt^2 = 40

And I got 2.85714 s. From there I subtracted that number from the original time of 3.07 s to get .21286 s, which is the time for speed of sound to reach the top again. I them found the hyp distance by taking (.21286)(343) = 73.011 m

After that I drew a triangle with 73.011 m as the hyp. But now I'm stuck. I don't know how to still get the initial speed of the rock. I'm not even sure what equation I should use.

Please Help.

Physics news on Phys.org
You know the hyp (73.011 m), and you know the vertical side (40 m). So you can compute the horizontal side. You also know the time in the air (2.857 s). Do you know a formula that relates horizontal distance to initial horizontal velocity and time?

(By the way, I did not check any of your numbers, but they look reasonable.)

Sorry, I forgot to mention that, but yes I did figure out the the x distance to be 61.0787 m. I also figured out all the angles inside the triangle because it forms a right triangle.

The equation I used was yf = (vyi)(t) + (1/2)(Ay)(t^2)

I used 2.857 s as my time and set yf = to -40. I then solved for my velocity but I got .000033 which I know is definitely not right.

1. What is a velocity problem?

A velocity problem involves determining the speed and direction of an object's motion. It is typically represented by a graph or equation that shows the change in position over time.

2. How do I solve a velocity problem?

To solve a velocity problem, you can use the equation v = d/t, where v is velocity, d is distance, and t is time. You can also use a graph to find the slope, which represents the velocity.

3. What units are used for velocity?

Velocity is typically measured in meters per second (m/s) or kilometers per hour (km/h). However, it can also be measured in other units such as feet per second (ft/s) or miles per hour (mph).

4. What are some common types of velocity problems?

Some common types of velocity problems include calculating average velocity, finding the instantaneous velocity at a specific time, and solving for the change in velocity over a given time interval.

5. What are some tips for solving velocity problems?

Some tips for solving velocity problems include carefully reading and understanding the given information, choosing the appropriate equation or method to solve the problem, and double-checking your calculations to ensure accuracy.