Stuck on Intro Quantum Mechanics Question

In summary, this problem involves solving the time-dependent Schrodinger equation for the wavefunction of a particle with a potential energy term added.
G01
Homework Helper
Gold Member
1. Suppose a constant potential energy,Vo, independent of x and t is added to a particle's potential energy. Show that this adds a time-dependent phase factor, [tex] e^{-iV_ot/\hbar}[/tex]Right now I'm completely lost. Here's what I think so far:

[tex]i\hbar\frac{d\Psi}{dt} = \frac{-\hbar^2}{2m}\frac{d^2\Psi}{dx^2} + V(x)\Psi[/tex]

As I said, I'm lost(Maybe I'm just to tired.) I added in the constant Potential Energy Term and that changes the Shrodinger Eq. like so:

3.[tex]i\hbar\frac{d\Psi}{dt} = \frac{-\hbar^2}{2m}\frac{d^2\Psi}{dx^2} + V(x)\Psi + V_o\Psi[/tex]

Now I'm stuck. As I write this I'm thinking about moving the constant term to the time side, separating ans solving the time side, since I know the answer is Time-dependent. Is this the right way to proceed? I'm not asking for a solution to the problem, just a hint about where to go. For reference this is problem 1.8 out of Griffith. Thank-you for any hints you can give me. I really appreciate it. If I need to show more work tell me and If I have accomplished anything else I will post it.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You know [tex] \psi(x,t) [/tex] satisfies the Schrodinger equation without [tex] V_0 [/tex], I would see what equation [tex] \psi(x,t) e^{-iV_0 t/\hbar} [/tex] satisfies. Hint: take a time derivative and use the equation satisfied by [tex] \psi [/tex].

Ok I think I may have got it. I did what I said and solved the time side with the new Potential Energy component. and The Timedependent part of [tex]\Psi[/tex] becomes:

[tex] e^{Ct}e^{-iV_ot/\hbar} [/tex] Does this look correct?

I'll try what you said monkey...

What I suggested is basically equivalent to what you did where your [tex] C = - i E t /\hbar [/tex] is the energy without [tex] V_0 [/tex]. The difference is that with my method you don't have to assume that [tex] \psi [/tex] is originally an energy eigenstate.

I see I see... Thanks for your help. I went about your method PM, and I put the new psi into the SHRO. EQ. and after symplifying the SHRO EQ becomes the equation for the original Wavefunction but with the extra potential energy term added. This seems like what was supposed to happen, so thank you for your help.

Great, you're welcome.

1. What is quantum mechanics?

Quantum mechanics is a branch of physics that deals with the behavior and interactions of particles on a very small scale, such as atoms and subatomic particles.

2. Why is it important?

Quantum mechanics is important because it helps us understand and predict the behavior of matter and energy at a microscopic level, which has numerous practical applications in fields such as technology and medicine.

3. What is an introductory quantum mechanics question?

An introductory quantum mechanics question is a problem or scenario that involves concepts from quantum mechanics and is typically used to introduce students to the fundamentals of the subject.

4. How do I solve a stuck on intro quantum mechanics question?

The best way to solve a stuck on intro quantum mechanics question is to break it down into smaller parts, review the relevant concepts and equations, and try different approaches until you find a solution. It can also be helpful to seek help from a teacher or tutor.

5. What are some common misconceptions about quantum mechanics?

Some common misconceptions about quantum mechanics include the idea that it only applies to very small particles, that it has no practical applications, and that it is too complex for non-scientists to understand. In reality, quantum mechanics can be applied to systems of any size and has numerous real-world applications, and while it can be challenging to grasp, it is not impossible to understand at a basic level.