1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Stuck on orthogonal curves problem

1. Jun 26, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Two curves are said to be orthogonal if their derivatives are opposite reciprocals at the point where the two curves intersect. Are 2x^2 + y^2 =3 and x= y^2 orthogonal?

2. Relevant equations
    I'm not entirely sure what to put here, but I think one relevant thing is to say that the two curves will intersect if they have slopes that are perpendicular to each other. (so m2= -1/m1)

3. The attempt at a solution

Ok- so from what I can piece together, the first thing would be to find out if the two equations would have perpendicular slopes. So I would have to differentiate both equations to find their slopes.

so- 4x+ 2y= 0
    and
    1=2y

From here though, I am lost. I think y=.5 and x= -.25 and that m1=0 and m2=1. So my hunch is that these lines are not orthogonal. However, I am not sure if this is the correct thing to do. I have searched throughout my book and have not found any example problems worded like this. And related problems I found on the internet didn't make much sense to me.

First post here, so I hope I followed the form correctly. Any help or explanations of how to approach this problem would be very appreciated. Thank you for reading!

Last edited: Jun 26, 2011
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 26, 2011 #2

Char. Limit

Gold Member

Welcome to PF! :)

Well, the first thing I would do is actually find out if the two functions intersect, and if so, where?

4. Jun 26, 2011 #3
    Ok! And thank you for the welcome! =)

ok. So I'll need to set them equal to each other, right? So I'd have 2x^2 + y^2 -3= y^2 -x

Which can simplify to 2x^2 + x -3= 0

So...to solve this I'd need to use the quadratic formula, correct? Which would give me x= 1 and -3/2.

From there I tried plugging the answers in. If I choose x=1, both equations turn into 1= y^2 so is this the value I need?

5. Jun 26, 2011 #4
    What does 1 = y^2 imply about what y equals? The coordinates of intersection will have 1 x value but 2 y values

6. Jun 26, 2011 #5
    I would think it means Y can equal 1 or -1 and either squared would equal one. making he equation true. (1=1) Is this right?

7. Jun 26, 2011 #6
    Yep! So that gives you two points of intersection: (1,1) and (1,-1)

Now go back to your criteria for orthogonality using those points!

8. Jun 26, 2011 #7
    Ok! So going back to the original 2 equations, I now must differentiate them and plug in the given values to see if the slopes are perpendicular to each other. When i plugged in (1,1) I received the slopes 6 and 1.

I then plugged in (1, -1) and got the slopes 2 and -3. Based of this, I can say that the lines are not perpendicular and therefore not orthogonal....right? =)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook