Are the Curves 2x^2 + y^2 = 3 and x = y^2 Orthogonal?

In summary, the two curves are not orthogonal and therefore not intersecting at the point where they are graphed.
fuzzwolfie

Homework Statement

Two curves are said to be orthogonal if their derivatives are opposite reciprocals at the point where the two curves intersect. Are 2x^2 + y^2 =3 and x= y^2 orthogonal?

Homework Equations

I'm not entirely sure what to put here, but I think one relevant thing is to say that the two curves will intersect if they have slopes that are perpendicular to each other. (so m2= -1/m1)

The Attempt at a Solution

Ok- so from what I can piece together, the first thing would be to find out if the two equations would have perpendicular slopes. So I would have to differentiate both equations to find their slopes.

so- 4x+ 2y= 0
and
1=2y

From here though, I am lost. I think y=.5 and x= -.25 and that m1=0 and m2=1. So my hunch is that these lines are not orthogonal. However, I am not sure if this is the correct thing to do. I have searched throughout my book and have not found any example problems worded like this. And related problems I found on the internet didn't make much sense to me.

First post here, so I hope I followed the form correctly. Any help or explanations of how to approach this problem would be very appreciated. Thank you for reading!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF! :)

Well, the first thing I would do is actually find out if the two functions intersect, and if so, where?

Char. Limit said:
Welcome to PF! :)

Well, the first thing I would do is actually find out if the two functions intersect, and if so, where?

Ok! And thank you for the welcome! =)

ok. So I'll need to set them equal to each other, right? So I'd have 2x^2 + y^2 -3= y^2 -x

Which can simplify to 2x^2 + x -3= 0

So...to solve this I'd need to use the quadratic formula, correct? Which would give me x= 1 and -3/2.

From there I tried plugging the answers in. If I choose x=1, both equations turn into 1= y^2 so is this the value I need?

What does 1 = y^2 imply about what y equals? The coordinates of intersection will have 1 x value but 2 y values

Clever-Name said:
What does 1 = y^2 imply about what y equals? The coordinates of intersection will have 1 x value but 2 y values

I would think it means Y can equal 1 or -1 and either squared would equal one. making he equation true. (1=1) Is this right?

Yep! So that gives you two points of intersection: (1,1) and (1,-1)

Now go back to your criteria for orthogonality using those points!

Clever-Name said:
Yep! So that gives you two points of intersection: (1,1) and (1,-1)

Now go back to your criteria for orthogonality using those points!
Ok! So going back to the original 2 equations, I now must differentiate them and plug in the given values to see if the slopes are perpendicular to each other. When i plugged in (1,1) I received the slopes 6 and 1.

I then plugged in (1, -1) and got the slopes 2 and -3. Based of this, I can say that the lines are not perpendicular and therefore not orthogonal...right? =)

1. What is an orthogonal curve?

An orthogonal curve is a curve on a graph that intersects another curve at right angles. This means that at the point of intersection, the tangent lines of both curves are perpendicular to each other.

2. What is the significance of orthogonal curves?

Orthogonal curves are important in mathematics and physics because they represent perpendicular forces or vectors. They also play a key role in understanding and solving various differential equations and optimization problems.

3. How do you determine if two curves are orthogonal?

To determine if two curves are orthogonal, you can calculate the derivatives of both curves at the point of intersection. If the derivatives are negative reciprocals of each other, then the curves are orthogonal.

4. Can orthogonal curves exist in three-dimensional space?

Yes, orthogonal curves can also exist in three-dimensional space. In this case, instead of intersecting at right angles, they intersect at right angles in each of the three dimensions.

5. What are some real-life applications of orthogonal curves?

Orthogonal curves have many applications in various fields such as engineering, architecture, and computer graphics. They are used to design structures that can withstand perpendicular forces, as well as to create realistic 3D models in computer graphics.