Stuck on separable equation (algebra prob?)

In summary: So the equation becomes y^2 + y + 1 = x^2 + 4.In summary, the conversation is about solving a separable equation in algebra. The steps involved include integrating both sides, finding the constant 'c', and completing the square. However, there is confusion about how to put the equation into the form y = ... and the use of the quadratic formula.
darryw
stuck on separable equation (algebra prob??)

Homework Statement

y' = 2x/(1+2y) y(2) = 0

(1+2y)dy = 2xdx

integrate both sides

y + y^2 = x^2 + c

I am stuck trying to put in in explicit form, so y = ...

is this completing the square or something?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org

First find c. Then, sure, if you want to solve for y(x) then complete the square.

c = y + y^2 - x^2

c = 0 + 0^2 - (2^2)

c = 4

y + y^2 = x^2 + 4

But i still don't see how complteting square will pu equation into form y = ... ?

c=4 doesn't work. 0 isn't equal to 2^2+4. Can you fix that? Why don't you complete the square in y before you decide it doesn't work?

should be -4

c = y + y^2 - x^2

c = 0 + 0^2 - (2^2)

c = -4

y + y^2 = x^2 - 4

COmpleting square is confusing me. How does that help with a DE? It is used to find the roots, but I am trying to get the equation to look like: y = something
thank you

You are trying to find the roots. You are trying to solve for y. Can you write y+y^2 in the form (y+A)^2-B by finding the constants A and B? Wouldn't that help to solve for y?

How do i get the equation y + y^2 = x^2 - 4 into the form y= ...

the answer key uses the quadratic formula but I am confused what a, b and c would be in the equation. ( -b +/- root b^2 - 4ac / 2a)

i can rearrange so that its: y^2 + y - x^2 + 4 = 0,

and i can see that a must be "1" .. but what is b and c when equation is in this form??

darryw said:
How do i get the equation y + y^2 = x^2 - 4 into the form y= ...

the answer key uses the quadratic formula but I am confused what a, b and c would be in the equation. ( -b +/- root b^2 - 4ac / 2a)

i can rearrange so that its: y^2 + y - x^2 + 4 = 0,

and i can see that a must be "1" .. but what is b and c when equation is in this form??

b=1 (since it's the coefficient of the y) and c=(-x^2+4) (since it's the 'constant' part independent of y).

What is a separable equation?

A separable equation is an algebraic equation in which the variables can be separated into two different functions, each containing only one of the variables. This allows for the equation to be solved by integrating both sides with respect to the variables separately.

How do I know if an equation is separable?

An equation is separable if it can be written in the form of f(x)dx = g(y)dy, where f(x) and g(y) are functions of x and y, respectively. The variables should also be able to be separated on opposite sides of the equation.

What is the process for solving a separable equation?

The process for solving a separable equation involves separating the variables, integrating both sides with respect to the variables, and then solving for the constant of integration. This will give the general solution, and any initial conditions can be used to find a particular solution.

Can all algebraic equations be solved using separation of variables?

No, not all algebraic equations can be solved using separation of variables. Only equations that can be written in the form of f(x)dx = g(y)dy, as mentioned earlier, can be solved using this method.

What are the real-world applications of separable equations?

Separable equations have many applications in physics, engineering, and other scientific fields. They are often used to model the behavior of physical systems such as radioactive decay, population growth, and chemical reactions. They are also used in economics and finance to model growth and change over time.