How Do You Determine Basis Vectors for the Tangent Space of a Surface in R^4?

In summary, you need to find some basis vectors for the tangent space on a surface. The vectors will be tangent vector, normal vector, and binormal vector.
Alteran
Stuck with problem:

There is a local surface [tex]\alpha(u) = (f_1(u), f_2(u), f_3(u), f_4(u)) \in R^4[/tex]. I need to find basis vectors of tangent space on that surface in some point p. It is not difficult to calculate tangent space for that surface, we should choose some curve on the surface and then it's derivative, but how to find 3 vectors that will be a basis for tangent space? Is it Frenet trihedron?

Can anyone give me a hint? Should be easy.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
your question makes no sense. a surface cannot be poarametrized by one variable u, that would bea curve. and then of couirse a surfacxe will have 2 vectors in a basis for its tangent spoace not 3.

if you real get a parametrization, then just carry over a basis for the tangent space of the coordinate space to your surface via the derivative of the parameter map.

ok, may be I did not specified extra data:
so:
[tex]u=(u_1, u_2, u_3)[/tex]
and specifically
[tex]f_1(u)=sinu_1 sinu_2 sinu_3[/tex]
[tex]f_2(u)=cosu_1 sinu_2 sinu_3[/tex]
[tex]f_3(u)=cosu_2 sinu_3[/tex]
[tex]f_4(u)=cosu_3[/tex]

So basis of my tangent space will be a set of 3 vectors, tangent vector, normal vector, binormal vector? or I am wrong?

Last edited:
I believe it makes most sense to take {da/du1(p), ..., da/du3(p)}

Jacobian matrix is known, so I believe I can computate these derivatives by using that matrix, by summarize each row in columns (there are 3 columns denoted to each [tex]u_n[/tex] and 4 rows denoted to [tex]f_m(u)[/tex]). By that procedure I will get 3 vectors, and they will be the basis of tangent space?

Well, you don't need to know the Jacobian a priori, you can just the partial derivatives I mentioned (and in the process, you will end up pretty much computing the Jacobian). For example:

da/du1 = (df1/du1, ..., df4/du1) = (cosu1sinu2sinu3, -sinu1sinu2sinu3,0,0)

So if p = (p1, ..., p3), then:

da/du1(p) = (cosp1sinp2sinp3, -sinp1sinp2sinp3,0,0)

Do the same for the other partials, and you should get three vectors which will be a basis for the tangent space. How have you defined the tangent space? I would almost expect that, by definition, the tangent space is defined to be the span of these partial derivatives, i.e. it is the image of the Jacobian matrix. You can check that the vectors you get are linearly independent.

Yes, rank of Jacobian matrix is equal to 3, so these vectors are linearly independent. Looks like they are basis vectors.

Thanks for support.

What is a basis for tangent space?

A basis for tangent space is a set of vectors that span the tangent space at a given point on a manifold. These vectors represent the possible directions in which a tangent vector can point at that point on the manifold.

Why is it important to have a basis for tangent space?

A basis for tangent space is important because it allows us to define a coordinate system for the manifold at a specific point. This makes it possible to perform calculations and make measurements on the manifold, which is crucial for understanding its properties and behavior.

How is a basis for tangent space calculated?

A basis for tangent space is calculated by taking the partial derivatives of the coordinates of the manifold with respect to each coordinate direction. These partial derivatives are evaluated at the given point on the manifold and form the basis vectors for the tangent space.

What is the difference between a basis for tangent space and a basis for the space itself?

A basis for tangent space is specific to a particular point on the manifold, while a basis for the space itself is defined for the entire manifold. Additionally, the basis vectors for tangent space are tangent to the manifold, while the basis vectors for the space itself are not necessarily tangent.

Can a manifold have multiple bases for its tangent space at a single point?

Yes, a manifold can have multiple bases for its tangent space at a single point. This is because there are infinite possible directions in which a tangent vector can point at a given point on the manifold, and each set of basis vectors can represent a different coordinate system for that point.