1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Student Loan Question

Tags:
  1. Jun 20, 2004 #1
    I’m starting school in September and I’ll need to apply for a student loan soon. I’ll be going to a university in Ontario, Canada. Anyway, I’m not sure how much to apply for because I have a bunch of scholarship applications still pending approval, so I think I might just apply for the max and use what I need. Now with the Ontario Student Loan Program, OSAP, interest does not start to be computed on he loan until after you are done school and working. So anyway, if I do happen to get all the scholarships I’ll be left with an excess amount of money. What I’d like to do is invest the money in a 3 or 4 year GIC, and then use the interest accumulated on that to help pay off some of the loan sometime in the future. My question is, if I have this money invested, would it inhibit my ability to get another loan the next year? (Because I have to declare my investments.)

Any help would be appreciated. :smile:

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 20, 2004 #2

Nec

What is GIC ?

4. Jun 20, 2004 #3
    It’s a guaranteed investment plan. You invest some money, and you are guaranteed a certain return on it after a certain time. Except you cannot touch the money once it’s invested. For example, $5000 invested in a GIC for 5 years at 4.6%/yr interest compounded annually would make you $1260.78 after the 5 years.

5. Jun 21, 2004 #4

Nec

Oh, that much ? 5 years is not a long time at all especially to students who are busy studying, if I were you I would try to invest more to get more in return after all.

6. Jun 21, 2004 #5
    Oh yeah, I know. I would keep adding the excess every year. My main problem is that when I go to apply for ANOTHER loan and they see that I have all this money invested, would they give me another loan?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?