Studying Math Units at University Level - Best Progression?

In summary, the individual is pursuing an IT degree in software development and is considering taking additional mathematical units such as Discrete Math, Linear Algebra, Calculus, and Statistics. They are unsure of the best progression for these courses and ask for advice from others. The conversation mentions the importance of having a strong foundation in algebra and trigonometry before attempting university-level math courses. It is suggested that linear algebra should be taken before calculus and that discrete math can be taken at any time. However, the individual should also research the prerequisites for these courses at other universities. Overall, the best progression is to take linear algebra as soon as possible, followed by calculus, and then discrete math.
basica
Hi Everyone, I hope this is the best place to put this topic if not I do apologize!

I'm currently pursuing an IT degree in software development and plan on studying a few related mathematical units that I believe would be beneficial to me. In this regards, Discrete maths, Calculus and Linear Algebra seem to be typical in a normal CS degree (which isn't available near me, unfortunately) and thus I've decided to these as well as perhaps Statistics.

Anyways, my question is what would the best progression be? I do not have a strong mathematical background but one of my units in computer organization has gotten me comfortable with algebra through the us of boolean algebra and circuit diagrams.

In a nutshell, I am currently thinking Discrete Math > Linear Algebra > Calculus

I reason that way because the textbook we will be using (Rosen) only has an algebra requirement and from my look at the book, I feel that I should be fine given my current knowledge and programming experience.

Then since my university lists the prerequisite for Linear Algebra as having done either Discrete Math or Calculus, I figure that its prerequisite knowledge is something the both share, perhaps proofs & functions as opposed to anything more intricate to them individually?

Then I figured to do Calculus since I have done no high school level calculus and my knowledge of trigonometry is quite minimal. My progression above is in the hope that this structure will allow me to move into calculus comfortably without doing some sort of foundational mathematics unit in order to be ready for it.

Anyways, is the above progression a good idea and will it achieve what I am hoping for? That is to be able to do Calculus without a foundations course? Or should I just do the foundations unit, and if so what would be the best progression?

Thank you for your help! :)

Physics news on Phys.org
You will need a thorough grounding in algebra and trigonometry before you attempt university-level math like calculus or even linear algebra. Studying Boolean algebra won't cut it versus regular algebra. I think a CS degree presumes that the student has had a broad exposure to other branches of math besides discrete math, LA, etc.

Just because there are no schools nearby which offer the courses you desire to take, this doesn't mean you can't research what other schools require as pre-requisites for their CS programs. This is the age of the internet, after all.

Thank you for your reply.

I should clarify, a couple things. My mentioning of the CS degree was simply to state that I was choosing mathematical units to make my degree more CS-like. In other words, these mathematical units are not compulsory for my degree and I am taking them by choice and have looked into what these particular units have as prerequisites as per my university's handbook and have mentioned them here.

Secondly, my familiarity with algebra is beyond just boolean algebra, I just meant I have done boolean algebra at a university level while having a regular high school level knowledge of algebra prior to it. Though as stated, my knowledge of trigonometry is fairly elementary mostly due to it being a few years since being at high school.

With that said, you have answered my question regarding if discrete mathematics will prepare me for linear algebra and then calculus which seems like it will not but I guess I'll wait to see if there is a consensus here before making a judgement on what I will do. I might even just familiarize myself with trigonometry through some self study during the end of year break before seeking to take up the other units.

Once again, thanks for your input.

Edit: to clarify further since what I said might've been confusing regarding algebra. Having had to use Boolean algebra helped me get comfortable with algebra again after years of not using it. I suppose the same could be said of trigonometry but I don't want to unnecessarily take that risk head on but rather through the side where the requirement of the knowledge may be there buy not at such a high level and not necessarily so vital to the understanding of the topic at hand.

Last edited:
Discrete math can be pretty scary, I would do calculus first for sure.

In my experience, people would usually take calculus before either of those classes. Some schools will have you take differential equations, linear algebra, or a combined course with some material from both in between Calc II and Calc III. Discrete math would usually come after that.

I recommend linear algebra as soon as possible. Especially before Calc 3 and Diff Eq. Taking them at the same time is good, but I feel linear algebra can help one get the most out of Calc 3 and Diff Eq. Take discrete whenever you want/can.

1. What math units should I take in university?

The specific math units you should take in university will depend on your field of study and personal interests. However, it is generally recommended to take a combination of calculus, linear algebra, and statistics courses to build a strong foundation in mathematics.

2. How many math units should I take each semester?

The number of math units you should take each semester will depend on your course load and personal capabilities. It is generally recommended to take no more than 2-3 math units per semester to ensure you have enough time to fully understand and excel in each course.

3. Is it necessary to take higher level math units if it is not required for my major?

Taking higher level math units may not be necessary for your major, but it can be beneficial for your overall understanding of mathematical concepts. It also opens up opportunities for graduate studies and future career paths.

4. How can I improve my math skills at the university level?

To improve your math skills at the university level, it is important to attend lectures and actively participate in class discussions. It is also helpful to practice regularly and seek help from professors or tutors when needed. Utilizing online resources and joining study groups can also aid in improving math skills.

5. What career options are available for those who study math units at the university level?

Studying math units at the university level can lead to a wide range of career options, including but not limited to: data analysis, actuarial science, finance, computer programming, engineering, and research. A strong background in math is highly valued in many industries and can lead to diverse and fulfilling career opportunities.