Studying physics and physical chemistry at the same time - dilemma

In summary, balancing studying physics and physical chemistry involves creating a schedule and finding connections between the two subjects. It is possible to excel in both subjects with dedication and seeking help when needed. Studying both subjects can provide a deeper understanding of the physical world and open up career opportunities. Challenges may include time management and potential confusion between overlapping concepts. Ultimately, the decision to study both subjects should be based on personal interests and long-term goals.
HClO4
It'll be a long one, but I'll try to make it as short as possible.

First, I should give a brief introduction to the education system in the country I come from.
Perhaps you've heard of the Bologna process in Europe; well, officially, we've accepted the system, but there are some differences between what should be and what is happening with our higher education system. Nevertheless, that is not the subject now, I just wanted to give you a glimpse of what it should look like.
So, we have faculties: the f. of physics, f. of law, f. of medicine, whatever. I believe that's called pre-grad in the USA (I'm highly unfamiliar with the education system there, so if all this explanation was unnecessary, excuse me).

I have enrolled the Faculty of Physics this academic year (that means that, 3.5 years from now, I will graduate). I'm among the best of students atm, although I have made a few tactical mistakes, such as leaving work for the last moment and then not being able to fully prepare myself for the exams on time. When starting exam preparation in time and working regularly through the year, I am able to be outstanding.

So, physics is my primary interest. But, I'm also attracted to physical chemistry (although not as much as to physics).
Before enrolling physics, I had a big dilemma: P or PC, or both?
I chose P over PC because I knew I would obtain a higher level of knowledge of physics and mathematics here than on PC. I didn't choose both, because I believed it might be too big of a challenge for me.
Now I see that if one works regularly on P, one can easily ace (provided one understands the material, and is mentally stable). So, I'm contemplating on the thought of enrolling PC next year, and studying both at the same time...
I wouldn't have to take all of the exams on PC, as I would have passed some of them on physics already (such as calculus). That means I'd have, say, 3/5 exams per semester on PC (and the standard 5 on physics), as I'd always be one year ahead on physics.

At PC, it's really important to attend the faculty regularly. They have loads of experimental work, and they even have tests on a weekly basis!
I attend almost all lectures on P now, although they aren't mandatory, because I find it easier to study later at home that way. We don't have tests even nearly as often (we had only three tests during the semester, they have at least three per month), but the situation on PC would motivate me to work regularly.

The thing is, I'd be perceiveing PC more of as a hobby. Physics would stay my primary faculty (and primary interest). There are some subjects on PC that I am almost completely uninterested in, such as, say, biochemistry. I definitely want fine knowledge of PC on the given level, but not as fine as the knowledge of physics.

Besides that..
I don't want to dedicate most of my awake time to attending faculties and studying.
(I know several people studying at two faculties. According to them, it's possible to ace at both; having a life besides that is, too, but with excellent organization skills and regular work...
I know just one guy who tried studying P and PC at the same time. He was two years ahead on PC before enrolling P. He gave up after a year on P, but I believe my situation is slightly better, because he had to take almost all of the exams on P he had already taken on PC, but on a higher level, and I wouldn't have to do so.)

I've talked to a lot of people regarding this dilemma, and still don't know what to do.

Any comments here? Advice? Personal experiences?
Thanks in advance. :shy:

Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for sharing your dilemma and seeking advice. I understand the importance of education and the challenges that come with balancing multiple interests and commitments.

Based on your explanation, it seems like you have a strong passion for physics and are performing well in your studies. It is also great that you are considering expanding your knowledge by enrolling in physical chemistry as well. It is important to have a well-rounded understanding of different scientific disciplines, and having a background in both physics and physical chemistry can be beneficial for your future career.

However, it is also important to consider the workload and time commitment that comes with studying at multiple faculties. As you mentioned, it is possible to excel at both, but it requires excellent organization skills and regular work. You also mentioned that you do not want to dedicate most of your awake time to studying, which is understandable.

My advice would be to carefully assess your current workload and time management skills. Are you able to balance your studies in physics and still have time for other activities and hobbies? If so, then it may be worth considering enrolling in physical chemistry next year. However, if you feel that adding another faculty may be too overwhelming and affect your performance in physics, then it may be better to focus on your primary interest and excel in that.

Additionally, it may be helpful to speak with your academic advisor or professors in both faculties to get their perspective and advice. They may have valuable insights and suggestions based on your current performance and workload.

In terms of personal experiences, I have seen students successfully balance multiple faculties and excel in both. However, it does require a lot of dedication and time management skills. Ultimately, the decision is yours and it is important to do what is best for you and your academic goals.

I wish you all the best in your studies and future endeavors.

1. How can I balance studying physics and physical chemistry at the same time?

In order to balance studying both physics and physical chemistry, it is important to prioritize your time and create a schedule that allows for equal amounts of time dedicated to each subject. It may also be helpful to find ways to connect the two subjects, such as focusing on the overlap between the two fields.

2. Is it possible to excel in both physics and physical chemistry simultaneously?

Yes, it is possible to excel in both subjects at the same time. It may require a lot of dedication, time management, and seeking help from professors or tutors when needed. However, with hard work and determination, it is achievable.

3. What are the benefits of studying both physics and physical chemistry?

Studying both subjects can provide a more comprehensive understanding of the physical world and how it operates. It can also open up career opportunities in various fields, such as research, engineering, or medicine.

4. Are there any challenges or drawbacks to studying physics and physical chemistry concurrently?

One potential challenge is the amount of time and effort required to study both subjects, which can be overwhelming for some students. Additionally, some concepts and theories may overlap but also have slight differences, which can be confusing. However, these challenges can be overcome with proper time management and seeking help when needed.

5. How can I decide if studying both physics and physical chemistry is the right choice for me?

If you have a strong interest in both subjects and a passion for understanding the physical world, then studying physics and physical chemistry may be a good fit for you. It is also important to consider your long-term career goals and if studying both subjects will help you achieve them. Ultimately, it is a personal decision and you should choose the path that aligns with your interests and goals.