Stupid Jobs

  • #1
Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
7,260
301
I like to pick apart things that we do for no good reason. What job or tasks do you find to be a waste of your time?

My vote: Folding underwear. I can't think of one good reason to fold underwear...and on principle I refuse to do it. :biggrin:
 
Last edited:

Answers and Replies

  • #2
Moonbear
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
11,490
52
Well, I'm not much interested in folding ANY clothes. But I have to agree, underwear definitely does not require folding.

Beds don't have to be made every day either...only if company is coming, and only if they're likely to wind up on the second floor where they'll see the bed. :biggrin:
 
  • #3
Evo
Mentor
23,172
2,914
I no longer fold my underwear. I still fold my bras (put one cup inside the other) because otherwise they take up too much space. I also still fold my knit sweaters and put them on the shelves in the closet because hanging them will stretch them out of shape.

I used to make my bed at night before I went to sleep because wrinkles in the sheets kept me awake, but no more. :approve: I found that sleeping in pajamas with pants (to my ankles) prevented me from feeling the wrinkles.

I'M NOT HIGH MAINTENANCE! o:) I'm just a light sleeper.
 
  • #4
Moonbear
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
11,490
52
Evo said:
I no longer fold my underwear. I still fold my bras (put one cup inside the other) because otherwise they take up too much space. I also still fold my knit sweaters and put them on the shelves in the closet because hanging them will stretch them out of shape.
Sweaters don't really wrinkle, so I'm content to leave them in the laundry basket.

I used to make my bed at night before I went to sleep because wrinkles in the sheets kept me awake, but no more. :approve: I found that sleeping in pajamas with pants (to my ankles) prevented me from feeling the wrinkles.

I'M NOT HIGH MAINTENANCE! o:) I'm just a light sleeper.
Uh huh. We'll just call you Princess and the Pea! LOL! :rofl:
 
  • #5
Evo
Mentor
23,172
2,914
Moonbear said:
Uh huh. We'll just call you Princess and the Pea! LOL! :rofl:
Oh, you have NO idea how accurate a description of me that is! :frown: I'd make that freeking princess seem like a narcoleptic.
 
Last edited:
  • #6
dextercioby
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
13,017
566
Moonbear said:
Well, I'm not much interested in folding ANY clothes. But I have to agree, underwear definitely does not require folding.

Beds don't have to be made every day either...only if company is coming, and only if they're likely to wind up on the second floor where they'll see the bed. :biggrin:
I never do my bed...Even if company is coming,she's got to admit that,anyway,the bed will look bad at the end of her visit...Though she keeps on "lemme make the bad" afterwards,i tell'er:"You found it that way:leave it that way"... :tongue2:

As for you slender women,the underwear is so tiny,it would be a major achievement if you managed to fold it... :tongue2:

Daniel.
 
  • #7
1,414
5
Ivan Seeking said:
I like to pick apart things that we do for no good reason. What job or tasks do you find to be a waste of your time?

My vote: Folding underwear. I can't think of one good reason to fold underwear...and on principle I refuse to do it. :biggrin:

getting dressed at all. If naked is good enough for the animals its good enough for me!

*strips*

[/hippieness]
 
  • #8
dextercioby
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
13,017
566
franznietzsche said:
getting dressed at all. If naked is good enough for the animals its good enough for me!

*strips*

[/hippieness]
There's a problem with going out in the winter,though...You may have to make some hair implants,everywhere... :tongue2:

Daniel.

P.S.Do u have the money to pay for the fines???
 
  • #9
281
1
Most of the good responses are taken (what's underwear??)
For me: cleaning the baseboards!!
My mom was real big on making sure the base-boards were clean when we had company, but honestly, have you ever inspected, let alone glanced at someones baseboards when you visited??
 
Last edited:
  • #10
1,414
5
dextercioby said:
There's a problem with going out in the winter,though...You may have to make some hair implants,everywhere... :tongue2:

Daniel.

P.S.Do u have the money to pay for the fines???

A naked winter is no problem for me.


And yeah, baseboards are a pain. I got grounded for having my socks incorrectly oriented in the drawer once (i'm dead serious). And people wonder why i was so eager to move out.
 
  • #11
Moonbear
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
11,490
52
MathStudent said:
Most of the good responses are taken (what's underwear??)
For me: cleaning the baseboards!!
My mom was real big on making sure the base-boards were clean when we had company, but honestly, have you ever inspected, let alone glanced at someones baseboards when you visited??
Okay, that I do notice. My sister doesn't. Cleaning along the baseboards was one of the things I snuck around doing while visiting my sister because the dust and dog hair were driving me crazy. :yuck: See, we should make a list of which jobs we don't do and which we feel compelled to do and then we can all trade off. I know someone who LOVES to do laundry, it's her way of unstressing. I keep offering to ship her my laundry, and she would seriously take me up on the offer if I ever did it. To me, that's one of those things that has to be done, but certainly isn't something I look forward to.
 
  • #12
dextercioby
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
13,017
566
When u moved out,u should have left those disoriented socks in the drawer.To remind your folks of you...

Daniel.
 
  • #13
Evo
Mentor
23,172
2,914
Moonbear said:
Okay, that I do notice. My sister doesn't. Cleaning along the baseboards was one of the things I snuck around doing while visiting my sister because the dust and dog hair were driving me crazy. :yuck: See, we should make a list of which jobs we don't do and which we feel compelled to do and then we can all trade off. I know someone who LOVES to do laundry, it's her way of unstressing. I keep offering to ship her my laundry, and she would seriously take me up on the offer if I ever did it. To me, that's one of those things that has to be done, but certainly isn't something I look forward to.
Kindred spirits. I used to fight with my ex all the time about what "clean" was. I don't care about clutter, I don't mind a few magazines on the coffee table, kids toys on the floor, some clothes lying in the wrong place, but I clean my baseboards with a toothbrush. My stove inside and out is spotless. To him if you glance a round a room and see nothing, it's clean, even though it's filthy. To me if you glance around the room and there is stuff everywhere, is the toilet, sink, stove, baseboards (I still haven't figured that one out, blinds, etc... CLEAN? You can have clutter, but be clean, or you can be "tidy" and filthy.
 
  • #14
Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
7,260
301
Do you clean the bottom of your toaster; you know, inside?
 
  • #15
Moonbear
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
11,490
52
Ivan Seeking said:
Do you clean the bottom of your toaster; you know, inside?
Yep! But that's a habit I learned after living in an apt with ants. I'm sure MIH understands that one. :biggrin:
 
  • #16
cronxeh
Gold Member
961
10
having to poor water into the kettle every hour.. having to type http addresses in the browser.. having to use mouse and stress my wrists..
 
  • #17
Tsu
Gold Member
371
63
Evo said:
I no longer fold my underwear. I still fold my bras (put one cup inside the other) because otherwise they take up too much space. I also still fold my knit sweaters and put them on the shelves in the closet because hanging them will stretch them out of shape.

I used to make my bed at night before I went to sleep because wrinkles in the sheets kept me awake, but no more. :approve: I found that sleeping in pajamas with pants (to my ankles) prevented me from feeling the wrinkles.

I'M NOT HIGH MAINTENANCE! o:) I'm just a light sleeper.
We're twins. We're exactly the same in this. :biggrin: Except I still have to kind of straighten out the bed before I climb in... (Ivan just RIPS our bed up!!)
 
  • #18
Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
7,260
301
Tsu said:
Ivan just RIPS our bed up!!
That's why she married me. :wink:
 
  • #19
1,414
5
dextercioby said:
When u moved out,u should have left those disoriented socks in the drawer.To remind your folks of you...

Daniel.
but then what would i have worn on my feet?
 
  • #20
Tsu
Gold Member
371
63
Ivan Seeking said:
That's why she married me. :wink:
Well... that's true... :wink: :biggrin:
 
  • #21
Kerrie
Staff Emeritus
Gold Member
827
15
the only job i do not like doing is grating cheese. i would rather spend the extra money on the pre-shredded cheese then the big blocks of it.
 
  • #22
1,414
5
Kerrie said:
the only job i do not like doing is grating cheese. i would rather spend the extra money on the pre-shredded cheese then the big blocks of it.

I ahve a friend who is reminded of home by grating cheese, and so always volunteers. No cheese grating for me!
 
  • #23
695
6
rearranging the furniture.
Find the damn best arrangement and don't change it. I have tender shins and moving the coffee table makes me bang them when I have to stumble to the bathroom at night.
putting things I use all the time where they go. messy does not equal dirty. Don't touch my pile of stuff if you don't smell something rotting underneath.
 
  • #24
1,490
23
Tsu said:
(Ivan just RIPS our bed up!!)
Ivan, you ornery devil you. :wink:
 
  • #25
Evo
Mentor
23,172
2,914
Originally Posted by Tsu
(Ivan just RIPS our bed up!!)

Ivan Seeking said:
That's why she married me. :wink:
:blushing: :bugeye: :blushing:
 

Related Threads on Stupid Jobs

  • Last Post
Replies
17
Views
10K
Replies
3K
Views
422K
Replies
13
Views
2K
  • Last Post
2
Replies
31
Views
6K
  • Last Post
Replies
2
Views
3K
  • Last Post
Replies
2
Views
5K
  • Last Post
Replies
16
Views
2K
  • Last Post
Replies
17
Views
2K
  • Last Post
2
Replies
49
Views
6K
  • Last Post
Replies
13
Views
2K
Top