Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Stupid Jobs

1. Jan 18, 2005 #1

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I like to pick apart things that we do for no good reason. What job or tasks do you find to be a waste of your time?

My vote: Folding underwear. I can't think of one good reason to fold underwear...and on principle I refuse to do it. :biggrin:

Last edited: Jan 18, 2005
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 18, 2005 #2

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Well, I'm not much interested in folding ANY clothes. But I have to agree, underwear definitely does not require folding.

Beds don't have to be made every day either...only if company is coming, and only if they're likely to wind up on the second floor where they'll see the bed. :biggrin:

4. Jan 18, 2005 #3

Evo

Staff: Mentor

I no longer fold my underwear. I still fold my bras (put one cup inside the other) because otherwise they take up too much space. I also still fold my knit sweaters and put them on the shelves in the closet because hanging them will stretch them out of shape.

I used to make my bed at night before I went to sleep because wrinkles in the sheets kept me awake, but no more. :approve: I found that sleeping in pajamas with pants (to my ankles) prevented me from feeling the wrinkles.

I'M NOT HIGH MAINTENANCE! o:) I'm just a light sleeper.

5. Jan 18, 2005 #4

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Sweaters don't really wrinkle, so I'm content to leave them in the laundry basket.

Uh huh. We'll just call you Princess and the Pea! LOL! :rofl:

6. Jan 18, 2005 #5

Evo

Oh, you have NO idea how accurate a description of me that is! :frown: I'd make that freeking princess seem like a narcoleptic.

7. Jan 18, 2005 #6

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I never do my bed...Even if company is coming,she's got to admit that,anyway,the bed will look bad at the end of her visit...Though she keeps on "lemme make the bad" afterwards,i tell'er:"You found it that way:leave it that way"... :tongue2:

As for you slender women,the underwear is so tiny,it would be a major achievement if you managed to fold it... :tongue2:

Daniel.

8. Jan 18, 2005 #7

getting dressed at all. If naked is good enough for the animals its good enough for me!

*strips*

[/hippieness]

9. Jan 18, 2005 #8

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

There's a problem with going out in the winter,though...You may have to make some hair implants,everywhere... :tongue2:

Daniel.

P.S.Do u have the money to pay for the fines???

10. Jan 18, 2005 #9
    Most of the good responses are taken (what's underwear??)
    For me: cleaning the baseboards!!
    My mom was real big on making sure the base-boards were clean when we had company, but honestly, have you ever inspected, let alone glanced at someones baseboards when you visited??

11. Jan 18, 2005 #10

A naked winter is no problem for me.

And yeah, baseboards are a pain. I got grounded for having my socks incorrectly oriented in the drawer once (i'm dead serious). And people wonder why i was so eager to move out.

12. Jan 18, 2005 #11

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Okay, that I do notice. My sister doesn't. Cleaning along the baseboards was one of the things I snuck around doing while visiting my sister because the dust and dog hair were driving me crazy. :yuck: See, we should make a list of which jobs we don't do and which we feel compelled to do and then we can all trade off. I know someone who LOVES to do laundry, it's her way of unstressing. I keep offering to ship her my laundry, and she would seriously take me up on the offer if I ever did it. To me, that's one of those things that has to be done, but certainly isn't something I look forward to.

13. Jan 18, 2005 #12

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

When u moved out,u should have left those disoriented socks in the drawer.To remind your folks of you...

Daniel.

14. Jan 18, 2005 #13

Evo

Kindred spirits. I used to fight with my ex all the time about what "clean" was. I don't care about clutter, I don't mind a few magazines on the coffee table, kids toys on the floor, some clothes lying in the wrong place, but I clean my baseboards with a toothbrush. My stove inside and out is spotless. To him if you glance a round a room and see nothing, it's clean, even though it's filthy. To me if you glance around the room and there is stuff everywhere, is the toilet, sink, stove, baseboards (I still haven't figured that one out, blinds, etc... CLEAN? You can have clutter, but be clean, or you can be "tidy" and filthy.

15. Jan 18, 2005 #14

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Do you clean the bottom of your toaster; you know, inside?

16. Jan 18, 2005 #15

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yep! But that's a habit I learned after living in an apt with ants. I'm sure MIH understands that one. :biggrin:

17. Jan 19, 2005 #16

cronxeh

Gold Member

having to poor water into the kettle every hour.. having to type http addresses in the browser.. having to use mouse and stress my wrists..

18. Jan 19, 2005 #17

Tsu

Gold Member

We're twins. We're exactly the same in this. :biggrin: Except I still have to kind of straighten out the bed before I climb in... (Ivan just RIPS our bed up!!)

19. Jan 19, 2005 #18

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

That's why she married me. :wink:

20. Jan 19, 2005 #19
    but then what would i have worn on my feet?

21. Jan 19, 2005 #20

Tsu

Gold Member

Well... that's true... :wink: :biggrin:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?