How to Calculate the Frequency of Lightwave at 500nm Wavelength

• Thread starter Grandor
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Stupid
In summary, The conversation discusses how to calculate the frequency of a light wave with a wavelength of 500nm, travelling at a speed of 3x10^8 ms-1. The equation used is f = v/lambda, where v is the speed and lambda is the wavelength. The conversation also briefly mentions using LaTEX typesetting to input equations.
Grandor
This sounds like a stupid question. However my teacher didnt really explain it well.
Its my first day back at school, cut me some slack thx.

- Calculate the frequency of a lightwave of wavelengh 500nm. Travelling at speed of light (3x10^8 ms-1)
-----------------------------------------
I WILL SUBSITUTE LAMBDA for H (cause i don't know how to type it)

f = ?
h = 500nm
V = 3x10^8 ms-1.

So 500nm x 10^-9 = 0.0000005m

V = fh

Therefore f = h/V

0.0000005m / 3000 000 00ms = ?

Would that be 1.66666666666666666 x10^-15?

BTW- can someone tell me how to input equations?

Physics news on Phys.org
Grandor said:
V = fh

Therefore f = h/V

your algebra is not quite correct

vincentchan said:
your algebra is not quite correct

err,
V = fXh
Divide out the f... f/V = h. So you would have to multiply out the V to get/

f = vh ??

0.0000005m x 3000 000 00ms = ?

so F=150? ?

V = fh

V/h = fh/h
V/h = f

from memory green light should have a freq around something x 10^14

6 x 10^14 perhaps?

How could i cock it up that much? TWICE! But I see the logic now.
Thankyou.

[tex] f = \frac{v}{\lambda} [/tex] where [tex] v [/tex] is speed and [tex] \lambda [/tex] is wavelength.

Grandor said:
BTW- can someone tell me how to input equations?

Read the sticky post on LaTEX typesetting.

What does "stupid question sorry" mean?

"Stupid question sorry" is a phrase used to apologize for asking a question that may seem obvious or foolish. It is often used in a self-deprecating manner to acknowledge that the person may feel embarrassed or silly for asking the question.

Why do people say "stupid question sorry" when they ask a question?

People may say "stupid question sorry" as a way to soften the question and make it seem less serious. It can also be used as a way to acknowledge that the question may not be the most intelligent or well thought out, but the person still wants an answer.

Is there such a thing as a stupid question?

There is a common saying that goes "there are no stupid questions, only stupid answers." This means that every question is valid and has the potential to lead to a meaningful answer. However, some questions may be considered silly or unnecessary, but this does not make them inherently stupid.

What should I do if I feel like I asked a stupid question?

If you feel like you asked a question that may have been seen as silly or unnecessary, there is no need to apologize or feel embarrassed. Remember that asking questions is an important part of learning and it is better to ask than to remain unsure. Simply move on and continue learning.

How can I avoid asking "stupid" questions?

There is no way to avoid asking questions that may be perceived as silly or unnecessary. However, you can try to do some research beforehand to see if your question has already been answered or if there is a better way to phrase it. Remember that there is no such thing as a stupid question, so don't be afraid to ask for clarification or further information.