Subgroups-commutator, normal, Abelian

• Thread starter fk378
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Normal
In summary, a commutator of two elements g and h in a group G is defined as [g,h] = gh(hg)^-1. The commutator subgroup [G,G] is then the subgroup generated by all the commutators of elements in G. To determine an element of [G,G], we must consider elements of the form [gh(hg)^-1]^n for some n in N. To prove that [G,G] is a normal subgroup of G, we can use the definition of a normal subgroup, which states that xH=Hx for x in G. Therefore, we can show that [G,G] is normal by showing that xhx^-1 is in H. Finally
fk378
Subgroups--commutator, normal, Abelian

Homework Statement

Let G be a group and g,h in G. Define the commutator of g and h as [g,h]= gh(hg)^-1. Then define the commutator subgroup, denoted [G,G], of G as the subgroup generated by all the commutators of elements of G, i.e. [G,G]=<{[g,h]: g,h in G}>.

(a) What does an element of [G,G] look like?
Hint: it is not enough to only consider elements of the form [g,h].

(b) Prove that [G,G] is a normal subgroup of G.

(c) Prove that G/[G,G] is an Abelian group.

The Attempt at a Solution

(a) Since [G,G] is cyclic, I thought an element would be of some form of [gh(hg)^-1]^n for some n in N. But the hint kind of threw me off...

(b) Initially I wanted to show that gh(hg)^-1 is mm^-1 but I have to show commutativity there and I don't know how to...so there must be another way? I can't seem to get started on this one...

(c) Is this just a consequence of part (b)? Since to show a subgroup is normal you need to use their cosets as an example.

Physics news on Phys.org

(a) [G,G] is not necessarily cyclic - it's generated by a set. I suggest you look up what this means.

(b) I don't understand what you're saying here. What's the definition of "normal subgroup"?

(c) It's a consequence of (b) that G/[G,G] is a group. Why is it an abelian one?

A normal subgroup is some H such that xH=Hx for x in G.
Equivalently, xhx^-1 is in H.

Right. Now use the definition to show that [G,G] is normal in G.

Well...that's my question here.

This is what I attempted:
Let H be a subgroup of G,
g,g-inverse in G
Then gh is in gH, and (g-inverse)(h-inverse) is in (g-inverse)H.
So then [g,h]=gh(g-inverse)(h-inverse)=gH(g-inverse)H=g(g-inverse)H=eH=H
(since the product of left cosets equals a left coset).

Is that correct? If not...any hints?

If it is right...then I have shown that an element of [G,G] looks like the subgroup H, and then all I need to do now is show xH=Hx?

What is a subgroup?

A subgroup is a subset of a group that also forms a group under the same operation. It contains the identity element and is closed under the operation and inverse.

What is a commutator?

A commutator is an element of a group that measures the failure of the group to be commutative. It is defined as the difference between two elements a and b multiplied in the order a*b*a^-1*b^-1.

What does it mean for a subgroup to be normal?

A subgroup is normal if it is invariant under conjugation by elements of the larger group. This means that if g is an element of the larger group and h is an element of the subgroup, then ghg^-1 is also an element of the subgroup.

What is an Abelian subgroup?

An Abelian subgroup is a subgroup that is also Abelian, meaning that its elements commute with each other. In other words, for any two elements a and b in the subgroup, ab=ba.

How are subgroups-commutator, normal, and Abelian related?

A subgroup that is both normal and Abelian is called a characteristic subgroup. It is a special type of normal subgroup that is also invariant under automorphisms of the larger group. The commutator subgroup is a normal subgroup that measures the non-commutativity of the larger group, and it is also Abelian if and only if the larger group is Abelian.