Help with Subgroups of GL(n,R): JL's Questions Answered

• Thread starter jeff1evesque
  • Start date
In summary, the given set of invertible nxn matrices with determinant -1 is a subgroup of GL(n,R) if it is closed under the binary operation of matrix multiplication and the induced operation from GL(n,R) is itself a group, as defined in the general linear group. The binary operation is not defined as the equation for taking the determinant, but rather as matrix multiplication. To determine if the set is a subgroup, the group axioms of closure, associativity, identity element, and inverse element must be satisfied.
jeff1evesque
I've chosen another problem in the book, but am not clear of how to begin. Could someone help me.

Instructions:
Determine whether the given set of invertible nxn matrices with real number entries is a subgroup of [tex]GL(n, R).[/tex]

Problem:
The nxn matrices with determinant -1.

Definition:
If a subset H of a group G is closed under the binary operation of G and if H with the induced operation from G is itself a group, then H is a subgroup of G.

Questions:
In the instructions (above), what does the notation [tex]GL(n, R)[/tex] denote? I looked for similar notations in the respective section of the book, but couldn't find anything.

What is meant by the following: ...and if H with the induced operation from G is itself a group..."?

Is the binary operation defined as the equation for taking the determinant?

To test whether we have a subgroup, do we just use the group axioms: closure, associativity, identity element, inverse element? I'm guessing if the group axioms pass (for our given subset), then the set is a subgroup?

Thanks,JL

Physics news on Phys.org

GL(n,R) is the general linear group of nxn matrices over the real numbers. also known as the invertible nxn real matrices.

H with the induced operation from G is just technical stuff... G is a group with a multiplication operation, say *. Now when you ask if H, a subset of G, is a group, you have to pick which operation you're going to use. Of course you're only really interested in *, but * is a function over G, not H. So you defined the induced operation say *H to be * restricted to only H in its domain. No thinking is actually required for this, and often people will just not mention it (since it's obvious which operation you want)

So in this case, your group operation is going to be matrix multiplication, and the induced operation is still matrix multiplication.

1. What is GL(n,R)?

GL(n,R) is a mathematical group known as the general linear group. It consists of all invertible n x n matrices with real number entries.

2. What are subgroups of GL(n,R)?

A subgroup of GL(n,R) is a subset of GL(n,R) that is also a group under the same operation. In other words, it is a smaller group that is contained within GL(n,R).

3. How do I determine if a subset is a subgroup of GL(n,R)?

To determine if a subset is a subgroup of GL(n,R), you need to check if it satisfies the three criteria for being a subgroup: closure, identity element, and inverse element. This means that the subset must contain the identity matrix, and for any two matrices in the subset, their product must also be in the subset. Additionally, every matrix in the subset must have an inverse in the subset.

4. Why are subgroups of GL(n,R) important?

Subgroups of GL(n,R) are important because they allow for a deeper understanding of the structure of the general linear group. They also have many applications in fields such as group theory, linear algebra, and representation theory.

5. How can I use subgroups of GL(n,R) in my research or work?

Subgroups of GL(n,R) can be used in various ways, depending on your area of research or work. For example, they can be used to classify different types of matrices, to study symmetry in geometric objects, or to solve systems of linear equations. They can also be used in the development of algorithms for computer graphics, physics simulations, and other applications.