Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Subjective space-time fabric ?

1. Dec 19, 2015 #1
    I don't know if this question is psychiatric or has to do with philosophy of physics : When we sleep is there subjectively no space-time, we don't feel in any place nor we know the time. So how does the brain reconnect to space-time ?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 19, 2015 #2

DaveC426913

Gold Member

Unfortunately, philosophy and meta-science are topics not open for discussion - partly because there are no right or wrong answers, and therefore they are non-scientific in nature.

4. Dec 19, 2015 #3

PeterDonis

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

As far as physics is concerned, your brain is just as much "in spacetime" when you are sleeping as when you are awake. So there's nothing to "reconnect".

As far as your subjective experience is concerned, that's a matter of either neuroscience or philosophy, depending on how you look at it. The neuroscience aspect would be suitable for discussion, but I don't think it is very well understood. The philosophy aspect, as DaveC426913 says, is not suitable for discussion here.

5. Dec 19, 2015 #4
    It is not right nor wrong maybe because it is in a state of superposition of both ? Like quantum logic. Could we use this tool to describe such phenomena ?

6. Dec 19, 2015 #5
    Subjective experience has nothing to do with quantum mechanics.
    In any case my experience of dreams differs from yours, I distinctly do have dreams which are in particular locations and have some kind of timeline.

7. Dec 19, 2015 #6

DrClaude

Closed pending moderation.

8. Dec 19, 2015 #7

PeterDonis

2016 Award

This thread is personal speculation and will remain closed.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook