What Is the Intersection of Subsets in Real Analysis?

In summary: No problem, I'll try to remember to ask about 0 when I see it again.In summary, the problem asks for the intersection of two intervals, E and F, where E= -1>=x>=0 and F= 0>=x>=1. However, because E and F overlap only in 0, deleting 0 from either set does not change the intersection.
phillyolly

Homework Statement

The problem is attached. Please help me out in understanding this problem. This is not a HW question, just for my own understanding...

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Attachments

• pic.jpg
    pic.jpg
    16.3 KB · Views: 354
Physics news on Phys.org
So, first, I would like to show that E intersects with F in 0.
Since E= -1>=x>=0 and F E= 0>=x>=1, these two intervals overlap only in 0.

What is f(E) in this question?

do you have a question about the problem? Even if its not for homeowrk, you should attempt it & get lead through

Here was I tried to solve. I found that f(E) and f(F) are the same. I don't get that f(E overlap F)=0.

Attachments

• IMG_0141.jpg
    IMG_0141.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 341
Well you showed that [tex] E \cap F = \{ 0 \}. [/tex] So then we simply have

[tex] f(E \cap F) = f(\{ 0 \}) = f(0) = 0. [/tex]

I don't get where you're getting lost. Anything in specific?
You also already showed that f(E) = f(F) = {y : 0 <= y <= 1}, so that parts good.

All that's left is for you to answer the following: "What would happen if 0 is deleted from the sets E and F?"
What would E intersect F be? What would f(E intersect F) be? Would f(E) still equal f(F)? And probably most importantly: would we still have [tex] f(E \cap F) \subset ( f(E) \cap f(F) ) [/tex] ?

Answering your questions,
(E intersect F)=N/A,
f(E intersect F)=N/A,
f(E) will still be equal f(F),
And the last question is tricky for me.

you already know [tex]
f(E \cap F)=\left\{\right\},\emptyset, empty set
[/tex] and [tex]( f(E) \cap f(F) ) =\left\{y\inR:0<y\leq1\right\}
[/tex]

so the question are [tex]
\emptyset \subset \left\{y\inR:0<y\leq1\right\}
[/tex]??

Last edited:
No, there is no empty set in 0=<y=<1...
Thank you...

Last edited:
i don't know this is definition or theorem, because i didn't take rigorous set theory yet.

Definition.
Empty set is the set having no element, and it is a subset of every set

the answer to [tex]

\emptyset \subset \left\{y\inR:0<y\leq1\right\}

[/tex] is true.

even [tex]

\emptyset \subset \emptyset

[/tex] is also true for your information because empty set itself is a set

This is very helpful for a dummie like me, thank you a lot.

phillyolly said:
So, first, I would like to show that E intersects with F in 0.
Since E= -1>=x>=0 and F E= 0>=x>=1, these two intervals overlap only in 0.

No, E = {x | -1 <= x <= 0} and F = {x | 0 <= x <= 1}

As you wrote E, it must be true that -1 >= 0, which is not true. For F, you have 0 >= 1, which is also not true.

Mark44, that was a typo on his part. Look at his work in the latest attached thumbnail and his posts since then. He's got it pretty much now I think.

phillyolly said:
Answering your questions,
(E intersect F)=N/A,
f(E intersect F)=N/A,
f(E) will still be equal f(F),
And the last question is tricky for me.

Your first two answers are incorrect. E [itex]\cup[/itex] F = {0}. This is not the empty set. As Raskolnikov already mentioned, f(E [itex]\cup[/itex] F) = f(0) = 0, which is also not the empty set.

When the problem asks about f(E), it is asking about the interval along the y-axis that the set E is mapped to. IOW, f(E) = {y | y = f(x) for some x in E}.

Raskolnikov said:
Mark44, that was a typo on his part. Look at his work in the latest attached thumbnail and his posts since then. He's got it pretty much now I think.
The work in the attached file in post 5 looks pretty good, but post 7, which came later, has some errors, so I'm not so sure the OP has it quite yet.

hmm, mark44, i think
that answer was referred to "What would happen if 0 is deleted from the sets E and F?" and its
[tex]E\cap F[/tex]
;P

I came late to the party, so I missed it that we were removing 0 from the intersection. Sorry.

What is a subset in real analysis?

A subset in real analysis refers to a set that contains elements that are also contained in another set. For example, if set A contains the elements {1, 2, 3} and set B contains the elements {2, 3}, then set B is a subset of set A.

How do you determine if a set is a subset of another set in real analysis?

To determine if a set is a subset of another set in real analysis, you need to check if all the elements of the first set are also present in the second set. If this is true, then the first set is a subset of the second set.

What is the difference between a proper subset and an improper subset in real analysis?

A proper subset is a subset that contains fewer elements than the original set, while an improper subset contains the same elements as the original set. For example, if set A contains the elements {1, 2, 3} and set B contains the elements {1, 2}, then set B is a proper subset of set A, while set A is an improper subset of itself.

Can a set be a subset of itself in real analysis?

Yes, a set can be a subset of itself in real analysis. This is known as an improper subset, as the set contains all the elements of itself.

How are subsets related to other concepts in real analysis?

Subsets are closely related to other concepts in real analysis, such as supersets, intersections, and unions. These concepts are used to manipulate and compare sets to better understand their properties and relationships. For example, the intersection of two sets results in a subset that contains only the elements that are common to both sets.