Note that you can use the same c1, c2, and c3 for both parts.

• Thread starter RedXIII
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Subspace
In summary, for problem 1, S is not a subspace of R^n because it does not satisfy the definition of a subspace. In problem 2, the vectors 2v1 + 4v2, v2 + 2v3, and 5v3 form a basis of S because they satisfy the conditions of spanning S and being linearly independent, which are the requirements for a set of vectors to form a basis of a subspace.
RedXIII

Homework Statement

1) Is S a subspace of R^n?

1.1) Given n=4 and a vector is in S if it is in the span of e1, e2 or in the span of e3, e4 where e1...e4 is the canonical basis of R^4

1.2) Given n=3 and S is a sphere of radius 1.

2) Let S be a subspace of R^10 with basis v1; v2; v3. Show that the vectors 2v1 + 4v2; v2 + 2v3; 5v3 also form a basis of S.

The Attempt at a Solution

1.1) No, because if the vector only spans e1, e2 or e3, e4, then it would only generate a plane in R^4?

1.2) I was thinking yes because a sphere is a 3-d object, thus would be a subspace of itself in R^3. However, if the radius is one then would that be false because if I were to add the vectors of the sphere, it would be outside the sphere?

2) From what I read, I think I would have to prove that they are linear independent then prove that they can generate R^10 (both of which are already proven if v1,v2,v3 is the basis of R^10) but how would I show it without any actual numbers?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Anybody?

What's the definition of a subspace? For problem 1, you want to show that those cases either satisfy or don't satisfy the definition, so if you don't know the definition, that's the first thing you need to look up.

For problem 2, you need to be bit more careful. The problem doesn't say v1, v2, and v3 form a basis for R10. It says they form a basis for S, a subspace of R10. Now you're given three vectors — let's call them w1, w2, and w3 — and you want to show they form a basis for S. You need to show two things:

1. w1, w2, and w3 span S. That is, if x is in S, then you can find constants c1, c2, and c3 such that x=c1w1+c2w2+c3w3.
  2. w1, w2, and w3 are linearly independent. That is, if c1w1+c2w2+c3w3=0, then c1=c2=c3=0 is the only solution.

1. What is a subspace of a sphere/vector?

A subspace of a sphere/vector is a subset of the sphere or vector space that contains all of the vectors that satisfy a certain set of conditions. These conditions can include specific values for the magnitude or direction of the vectors.

2. How is a subspace of a sphere/vector different from the entire sphere/vector space?

A subspace is a smaller, more specific subset of the entire sphere/vector space. It only contains vectors that satisfy certain conditions, while the entire space includes all possible vectors.

3. What are some examples of subspaces of a sphere/vector?

Some examples of subspaces of a sphere/vector include the equator of a sphere, which is a circle that lies in the middle of the sphere and shares the same center as the sphere. In terms of vectors, a subspace could be a line or plane that passes through the origin and contains a certain set of vectors.

4. How are subspaces of a sphere/vector useful in scientific research?

Subspaces of a sphere/vector can be useful in scientific research because they allow scientists to analyze specific subsets of a larger system. By studying these smaller subspaces, scientists can gain a better understanding of the overall system and make more accurate predictions and conclusions.

5. Can a subspace of a sphere/vector ever be larger than the entire sphere/vector space?

No, a subspace of a sphere/vector can never be larger than the entire sphere/vector space. A subspace is, by definition, a subset of the larger space and cannot contain more elements than the space itself.