Find Basis for Subspaces & Dimension of W,U,W+U,W\capU

In summary, the task is to find the basis and dimension for two given groups, W and U, and then determine the basis for their sum and intersection. It is found that both W and U have a basis of 3 linearly independent vectors and a dimension of 3. To find the basis for W+U, the 6 given vectors are checked for linear independence and the independent ones are taken to form the basis, resulting in a basis of 4 vectors and a dimension of 4. To find the basis for W\capU, a system of equations is set up using the parameter vectors and the basis of each group, and any vector that satisfies these equations is a basis for the intersection.
Dell
i am given these 2 groups
W=sp{(1 0 2 0) (1 1 1 1) (1 0 0 0)}
U=sp{(1 0 1 1) (1 2 1 2) (0 0 1 0)}

and am asked to find
a basis for each one and their dimention
a basis for W+U
a basis for W[tex]\cap[/tex]U
-----------------------------------------------
for the basis i found that they are both linearly independant therefore my basis is the span given and the dimention is 3 for both of them
------------------------------------------------
how do i find a basis for W+U? can i take the 6 vectors given and check which are dependant and which are independant, take the independant ones in which case i get

w+u=sp{(1 0 2 0) (1 1 1 1) (1 0 0 0) (1 0 1 1)}
dim(W+U)=4
------------------------------------------------
for W[tex]\cap[/tex]U am i looking for all the vectors in W which are perpendicular to U? how would i do this?
i know how to find one vector perpendicular to a subspace but how do i find a basis for a group perpendicular to another group

Physics news on Phys.org
for vectors in W which intersect U can i set up a parameter vector (a b c d) then compare it to the basis of W to get a homogenic system

1 1 1 | a
0 1 0 | b
2 1 0 | c
0 1 0 | d

then i get d-b=0

then do the same for u

1 1 0 | a
0 2 0 | b
1 1 1 | c
1 2 0 | d

and i get b-2(d-a)=0

then any vector that adheres to these 2 conditions is an answer.

1. What is a basis for a subspace?

A basis for a subspace is a set of vectors that spans the entire subspace and is linearly independent. This means that every vector in the subspace can be written as a linear combination of the basis vectors, and no basis vector can be written as a linear combination of the other basis vectors.

2. How do you find a basis for a subspace?

To find a basis for a subspace, you can use the following steps:

1. Write out the vectors that define the subspace.
  2. Form a matrix with these vectors as its columns.
  3. Use row operations to reduce the matrix to echelon form.
  4. The pivot columns in the reduced matrix form a basis for the subspace.

3. What is the dimension of a subspace?

The dimension of a subspace is the number of vectors in its basis. It represents the minimum number of vectors needed to span the subspace.

4. Can two subspaces have the same basis?

Yes, it is possible for two subspaces to have the same basis. This can happen when the two subspaces are equal, or when one subspace is a subset of the other.

5. What is the dimension of the sum and intersection of two subspaces?

The dimension of the sum of two subspaces, W and U, is equal to the sum of their individual dimensions minus the dimension of their intersection. In other words, dim(W+U) = dim(W) + dim(U) - dim(W∩U).

The dimension of the intersection of two subspaces, W and U, is equal to the number of pivot columns in the reduced matrix formed by the vectors that define both subspaces.