Subspaces and perpendiculuar subspaces

• Thread starter jumbogala
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Subspaces
In summary, my prof told me to try proving that M is a subset of M perp perp, and then to use the fact that if M is a subspace of Rn then T(X) = projU(X) for all X in Rn. I'm not sure how to go about that, but I know logically that it's a subset. I'm also thinking that once I prove it, I can show that the dimensions of U and U perp perp are equal, so the spaces are equal too.
jumbogala

Homework Statement

How do you show that M double perp is a subset of M?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

My prof told me to try proving that M is a subset of M perp perp, then to use the facts that if M is a subspace of Rn then T(X) = projU(X) for all X in Rn.

I'm not sure how to go about that. I know logically that it's a subset, but I don't know how to prove it.

I'm thinking that once I prove it, maybe I can show that the dimension of U and U perp perp are equal, so the spaces are equal too?

Can anyone help get me started? Thanks :)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
It follows pretty much from the definition of perpendicularity. Try it out and see what happens

Last edited:
Okay well I tried this:
Say X is a vector in M.

Then Y is a vector in M perp if Y ● X = 0.

Z is a vector in M perp perp if Z ● Y = 0.

But I can show that every vector X in M is also in M perp perp:
X ● Y = 0 because Y ● X = 0.

Therefore M is a subset of M perp perp. Is that part right?

Yeah, that's all there is to it for that part

Okay now for the next part.
T(X) = projM(X) = Y
dim(M) + dim (M perp) = n

S(Y) = projM perp(Y) = Z
dim(M perp) + dim(M perp perp) = n

Then n - dim(M) = n - dim(M perp perp)
dim (M) = dim(M perp perp)

Since M is a subset of M perp perp then they are equal?

I'm not sure precisely what your projection notation is supposed to say but the argument basically goes like how you posted:

For all subspaces U, dim(U)+dim(U perp)=n

So dim(M)+dim(M perp)=n

M perp is a subspace also, so dim(M perp)+dim(M perp perp)= n

And then subtract like you did to finish it off

Hmm okay, so the projection thing isn't actually necessary?

Thanks for your help, by the way!

FAQ: Subspaces and perpendiculuar subspaces

1. What is a subspace?

A subspace is a subset of a vector space that satisfies all the properties of a vector space, such as closure under addition and scalar multiplication.

2. How do you determine if a set of vectors forms a subspace?

To determine if a set of vectors forms a subspace, you must check if it satisfies the three properties of a subspace: closure under addition, closure under scalar multiplication, and contains the zero vector.

3. What is a perpendicular subspace?

A perpendicular subspace is a subspace that consists of all vectors that are perpendicular to a given vector or set of vectors.

4. How do you find the perpendicular subspace of a given vector or set of vectors?

To find the perpendicular subspace, you can use the concept of orthogonal projection. This involves finding the vector that is perpendicular to the given vector or set of vectors and projecting the given vector onto it.

5. Can a subspace and its perpendicular subspace intersect?

No, a subspace and its perpendicular subspace cannot intersect because they consist of vectors that are orthogonal to each other. This means that their dot product is always zero, indicating that they do not share any common elements.

Back