Understanding Subsitution Notation: Exploring (a,b)

• Thread starter ver_mathstats
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Notation
In summary, the conversation is about performing calculations that involve substitutions. The notation used in the problems indicates which variables are being substituted and in which order. The first problem involves substituting a and b with b and a, while the second problem involves substituting a with b first and then substituting b with a. The difference between all four problems is the order in which the substitutions are performed.
ver_mathstats
Homework Statement
We have to do calculations that involve substitutions.
Relevant Equations
(3 · a + 5 · b)[a, b ≔ b, a]
(3 · a + 5 · b)[a ≔ b][b ≔ a]
(3 · a + 5 · b)[b, a ≔ a, b]
(3 · a + 5 · b)[b ≔ a][a ≔ b]
For the first one so far I have
=⟨ Substitution ⟩
(3 · b + 5 · a)
So far this is right, however I don't really know the difference between the others.

For the second one I did
=⟨ Substitution ⟩
(3 · b + 5 · b)
For this one I got it wrong, I thought I would have to do two substitutions but it's not working out and I keep getting it wrong. I'm very confused what the difference is between all four.

Any help would be appreciated, thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
ver_mathstats said:
Homework Statement:: We have to do calculations that involve substitutions.
Relevant Equations:: (3 · a + 5 · b)[a, b ≔ b, a]
(3 · a + 5 · b)[b, a ≔ a, b]
(3 · a + 5 · b)[b ≔ a][a ≔ b]
What does this notation in these problems mean?
ver_mathstats said:
For the first one so far I have
=⟨ Substitution ⟩
(3 · b + 5 · a)
So far this is right, however I don't really know the difference between the others.

For the second one I did
=⟨ Substitution ⟩
(3 · b + 5 · b)
For this one I got it wrong, I thought I would have to do two substitutions but it's not working out and I keep getting it wrong. I'm very confused what the difference is between all four.

Any help would be appreciated, thank you.

Related to Understanding Subsitution Notation: Exploring (a,b)

What is substitution notation?

Substitution notation is a way of representing mathematical expressions using letters or symbols to stand for specific numbers or values. It is commonly used in algebra and calculus to simplify and generalize equations.

How do I use substitution notation?

To use substitution notation, you need to first identify the variables or symbols used in the expression. Then, you can replace these variables with specific numbers or values to solve the equation. This allows you to manipulate the equation and find the solution for different scenarios.

What is the purpose of substitution notation?

The purpose of substitution notation is to make mathematical expressions more flexible and easier to work with. It allows us to generalize equations and solve them for different values, making it a powerful tool in problem-solving and understanding mathematical concepts.

What are the benefits of using substitution notation?

Using substitution notation can help us understand the relationship between different variables and how they affect the overall expression. It also allows us to solve complex equations more efficiently and accurately, as well as making it easier to identify patterns and make predictions.

Are there any limitations to substitution notation?

While substitution notation is a useful tool, it does have some limitations. It may not be able to accurately represent all mathematical concepts, and it may not always be the most efficient method for solving equations. It is important to understand when and how to use substitution notation effectively.