Sugar-Free Sweetener: The Truth About Aspartame's Effects on Skin

• Thread starter deda
  • Start date
In summary: They recommend reading the book Sweet Misery: A Doctor's Struggle with the Global Epidemic of Aspartame Illness by Nora Gedgaudas.
deda
I'm not sure if that's the right typo for that sweeter.
Anyway, aspartam is several times sweeter than sugar.
All of the products under the label "sugar free" contain aspartam.
I'd like to know the bad side of aspartam for people consuming it.
Especially, the bad influence on humman skin.

Thanks.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
I found something but it's not english.
Aspartam causes alergies

Can you translate some arts of it?

My time on internet is very limited this days.
Please, find some english site for me on this subject.

Originally posted by deda
I'm not sure if that's the right typo for that sweeter.
It should be aspartame. (It is lesser-known as aspartylphenylalanine.)

All of the products under the label "sugar free" contain aspartam.
No. Some of them contain other sweeteners such as xylitol, stevia, Lo Han, acesulfame potassium, et al. Some products contain sucralose as a low-calorie sweetener. Sucralose technically is sugar, but it is modified to be 600 times sweeter than normal sugar.

I'd like to know the bad side of aspartam for people consuming it.
Plenty of bad stuff is listed in the abstracts returned by the query aspartame at PubMed, but you'll have to do some digging.

Especially, the bad influence on humman skin.
Here is the title of one of the more-recent aspartame studies returned by PubMed:

Systemic contact dermatitis of the eyelids caused by formaldehyde derived from aspartame?

Unfortunately, the abstract for that study is not provided by PubMed.

-Chris

Member,

You have been suvirely helpfull. Thanks.
I think my skin is affected by aspartame.
Are there any preventions (neutralizators)
that you might know of beside avoiding
products containing it?

Aspartame is a difficult chemical to find any sort of info for, as it's not in the interests of the companies manufacturing it to let us know about any negative health effects. I'm unaware of any investigations into the chronic effects of consuming aspartame, for example.

What I have been able to discern, as someone not trained in chemistry, is that aspartame breaks down into methanol, and then fomaldehyde in the body. Formaldehyde is genotoxic and cytotoxic. In short, it can damage your DNA.
Whether it does this enough to cause health problems is something I'm not certain about.

On the one hand, you will find people proclaiming how Aspartame is the most dangerous food additive there is, and how Monsato have covered things up for years with dubious research, and on the other hand there is Monsanto who say that Aspartame is safe and the people deriding it are conspiracy nuts.

However, much of the evidence against Aspartame seems solid enough for me, personally, to consider that there is a health risk, but it is hard to quantify whether this presents more of a risk than the larger amounts of refined sugars we would otherwise eat.

I've e-mailed Mosanto about Aspartame, and was told that they no longer manufacture it as a product, as they focus now on biotech.

Related to Sugar-Free Sweetener: The Truth About Aspartame's Effects on Skin

1. What is aspartame and how does it affect the skin?

Aspartame is a sugar-free sweetener used in many diet and low-calorie products. It is made up of two amino acids, aspartic acid and phenylalanine. Studies have shown that it does not have any direct effects on the skin, but some people may have allergic reactions to it, which can manifest as skin irritation or rashes.

2. Is aspartame safe for consumption?

Yes, aspartame has been approved by numerous regulatory agencies, including the FDA, as safe for consumption. However, individuals with a rare genetic disorder called phenylketonuria (PKU) should avoid consuming aspartame due to its phenylalanine content.

3. Can aspartame cause acne?

There is no scientific evidence to suggest that aspartame causes acne. However, some people may have individual sensitivities or allergies to aspartame, which can manifest as skin conditions such as acne.

4. Does aspartame cause premature aging?

There is no scientific evidence to support the claim that aspartame causes premature aging. Aspartame is not metabolized by the body in a way that would contribute to premature aging.

5. Are there any benefits to using aspartame instead of sugar?

Aspartame is a low-calorie sweetener, which can be beneficial for individuals looking to reduce their sugar intake and manage their weight. It also does not contribute to tooth decay like sugar does. However, it is important to consume aspartame in moderation as part of a balanced diet.