Prove Sum Divisible by 5 with 5 Arbitrary Natural Numbers

• Thread starter Zurtex
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Sum
In summary, to prove that one of the sums (in order) of 5 arbitrary natural numbers is divisible by 5, we can consider the remainders of the sums upon division by 5. There are 5 possible remainders and 5 sums, so either one of the sums is divisible by 5 or two of the sums have equal remainders. In the latter case, the difference of the sums will also be a sum and will be divisible by 5. Therefore, there is always a sum that is divisible by 5.
Zurtex
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
The question asks me to prove that if I have 5 arbitrary natural numbers to show that one of the sums (in order) is divisible by 5. So say the numbers are [itex]a_1,a_2,a_3,a_4,a_5[/itex] some examples would be:

[tex]a_1 + a_2 + a_3[/tex]

[tex]a_4[/tex]

[tex]a_3 + a_4[/tex]

etc..

My first thought was to consider the remainder upon division 5 and then start identifying all the possible combinations where the sum is divisible by 5 and show there are no more left. However when starting this I realized this was actually a lot of work and there must be some simpler way. Can anyone else point me in a different direction?

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't know what in order means so I hope it does not matter.
consider the sums
a1
a1+a2
a1+a2+a3
a1+a2+a3+a4
a1+a2+a3+a4+a5
consider their remainders upon division by 5
There are 5 possible remainders {0,1,2,3,4} and 5 sums so either a sum is divisible by 5 (remainder=0) or of two of the sums remainders are equal.
if 2 sums remainders are equal the difference of the sums is itself a sum and is divisible by 5
so for example if (a1,a2,a3,a4,a5,n,m,r are natural numbers)
a1+a2=5m+r
a1+a2+a3+a4=5n+r
5|a3+a4

One way to approach this problem is by using the pigeonhole principle. The pigeonhole principle states that if n+1 objects are placed into n boxes, then at least one box must contain two or more objects.

In this case, we have 5 natural numbers, so we can think of them as 5 objects. If we divide them into 4 boxes, at least one box must contain two or more numbers. This means that there must be a sum of two or more numbers in that box, and since we are dealing with natural numbers, the sum must also be a natural number.

Now, since we have a sum of two or more numbers in one of the boxes, we can add that sum to the remaining number (that is not in the box) to get a new sum. This new sum will also be a natural number.

We can continue this process until we have only one number left. This last number will be the sum of all the original numbers, and since it is a natural number, it must be divisible by 5.

Therefore, we have shown that one of the sums of 5 arbitrary natural numbers is divisible by 5, using the pigeonhole principle.

1. How do you prove that the sum of five arbitrary natural numbers is divisible by 5?

To prove that the sum of five arbitrary natural numbers is divisible by 5, we can use the fact that any integer multiplied by 5 is divisible by 5. Therefore, we can show that the sum of the five numbers is a multiple of 5 by dividing it by 5 and showing that the remainder is 0.

2. What is the basic concept behind proving this statement?

The basic concept behind proving that the sum of five arbitrary natural numbers is divisible by 5 is using the properties of divisibility and the fact that any number multiplied by 5 is divisible by 5. We can also use mathematical induction or direct proof to prove this statement.

3. Can you provide an example to demonstrate this statement?

Yes, for example, let's take five arbitrary natural numbers: 3, 7, 4, 9, and 6. The sum of these numbers is 29. Now, if we divide 29 by 5, we get a remainder of 4. This shows that the sum is not divisible by 5. However, if we add one more number to the sum, such as 1, the new sum is 30, which is divisible by 5 as there is no remainder. Therefore, the statement is proven.

4. Is there any other way to prove this statement?

Yes, there are other ways to prove this statement. One way is to use mathematical induction, where we show that the statement holds true for the first natural number and then assume it to be true for the next natural number. Another way is to use direct proof, where we start with the statement and use logical steps to arrive at the conclusion.

5. How is this statement relevant in mathematics or other fields?

This statement is relevant in various mathematical fields, such as number theory and algebra. It is also used in real-life applications, such as in coding, where divisibility rules are used to check if a number is divisible by another number. Additionally, this statement is important in understanding the properties of numbers and their relationships with each other.