How to Compute the Sum of Arithmetic Series?

In summary, the sums for (a) 1 + 2 + 3 + ... + n and (b) 2 + 4 + 6 + ... + 2n have the correct answers n(n+1)/2 and n(n+1) respectively. However, the answer given for (c) 1 + 3 + 5 + ... + (2n + 1) is incorrect. The correct answer is (n+1)^2, obtained by manipulating the sum into a recognizable form.
DorumonSg
Compute the following sums and give your answers in terms of n.

(a) 1 + 2 + 3 + ... + n
(b) 2 + 4 + 6 + ... + 2n
(c) 1 + 3 + 5 + ... + (2n + 1)

I actually have the answers but there seem to be an error...

For (a) 1 + 2 + 3 + ... + n,

My answer given is n(n+1)/2

For(b) 2 + 4 + 6 + ... + 2n

My answer given is n(n+1)

However, for (c)

My answer given is (2n + 2)(n + 1)/2

If we play with the answer for (a) and (b) for example :

(a) : We take the nth term as 3 and sub it in n(n+1)/2 = 3(3+1)/2 = 6(Which is the correct sum up to the nth term)

But for (c) :

We take the nth term as 3 and sub it in (2n + 2)(n + 1)/2 = (2(3) + 2)(3 + 1)/2 = 16(Which is the sum of the number AFTER the nth term.)

The answer for (c) is incorrect, am I right? Because its the answer give by my tutor.

Physics news on Phys.org
For c) we can manipulate it in such a way as to turn it into a form we easily recognize:

[tex]1+3+5+...+(2n+1)=(n+1)+0+2+4+...+2n=(n+1)+2(1+2+3+...+n)[/tex]

which gives you [tex](n+1)^2[/tex] as your tutor gave. If you take n=3 then you need to realize that the last term is (2n+1)=7 so you go up until 7... 1+3+5+7=16 as expected.

Last edited:

Related to How to Compute the Sum of Arithmetic Series?

1. What is the formula for finding the sum of an arithmetic series?

The formula for finding the sum of an arithmetic series is S = (n/2)(2a + (n-1)d), where n is the number of terms in the series, a is the first term, and d is the common difference between terms.

2. How do I know if a series is arithmetic?

A series is arithmetic if there is a common difference between each term. In other words, if you can add or subtract the same number to each term to get the next term, then it is an arithmetic series.

3. Can the sum of an arithmetic series be negative?

Yes, the sum of an arithmetic series can be negative if the terms in the series alternate between positive and negative values. However, if all the terms in the series are either positive or negative, then the sum will also be positive or negative, respectively.

4. What is the difference between a finite and infinite arithmetic series?

A finite arithmetic series has a specific number of terms, whereas an infinite arithmetic series continues indefinitely. The formula for finding the sum of a finite series is different from that of an infinite series.

5. How can I use the sum of arithmetic series in real-life applications?

The sum of arithmetic series can be used in various real-life applications, such as calculating the total cost of a loan or mortgage, determining the total distance traveled in a given time period with a constant speed, or finding the total number of items produced in a factory with a fixed production rate. It is also useful in financial planning and budgeting.