Finding Pythagorean Triples: Sums of Two Squares

In summary, the conversation discusses the expressibility of squares as the sum of two squares, with a focus on finding a simple expression for all possible sums. The concept of parametrization of Pythagorean triples is mentioned, and it is argued that it can provide enough information for this task. It is also noted that all squares are expressible as the sum of two squares, except for the trivial case of 0. The conversation then shifts to a discussion of characterizing integers that can be written as sums of relatively prime squares and how this can be used to determine if a given square can be written as the sum of two squares. Finally, the question is clarified to ask for a method to determine if a given square can be expressed as
Dragonfall
Which squares are expressible as the sum of two squares? Is there a simple expression I can write down that will give me all of them? Some of them? Parametrization of the pythagorean triples doesn't seem to help.

Physics news on Phys.org
What do you mean by "parameterization of pythagorean triples"? If it's what I think you mean, I don't see why this wouldn't give you enough information for what you want to do.

0 is a square, so really all of them. Excluding this trivial case, if c^2 can be written as c^2=a^2+b^2 where a and b are non zero, then we can divide by common factors to get d^2=e^2+f^2, where the terms are relatively prime.

Do you know any characterization of integers that can be written as sums of relatively prime squares (if not, what about primes)? Then you'd know c^2 would have to have a divisor of this form (conversely having a divisor of this form will ensure a representation).

I worded the question wrong. I wanted to ask "given a square, how do I know if it can be written as the sum of two squares (except 0)". I got it now.

1. What are Pythagorean Triples?

Pythagorean Triples are three positive integers (a, b, c) that satisfy the Pythagorean Theorem, a² + b² = c². In simpler terms, it is a set of three numbers that can form a right triangle.

2. How do you find Pythagorean Triples?

One way to find Pythagorean Triples is by using the formula a = m² - n², b = 2mn, c = m² + n², where m and n are positive integers with m > n. Another method is by using the Euclidean algorithm to generate primitive Pythagorean Triples, which can then be multiplied by a constant to get non-primitive triples.

3. What is the significance of Pythagorean Triples?

Pythagorean Triples have been studied for centuries and have many applications in mathematics, physics, and engineering. They are also used in solving problems related to right triangles, such as finding missing side lengths or angles.

4. Are there any patterns or rules for finding Pythagorean Triples?

Yes, there are several patterns and rules that can help in finding Pythagorean Triples. For example, if one of the numbers in a triple is a multiple of 3, then the other two numbers will also be multiples of 3. Additionally, all Pythagorean Triples can be classified into three categories: primitive, non-primitive, and special.

5. Can Pythagorean Triples be extended to more than three numbers?

Yes, Pythagorean Triples can be extended to more than three numbers, known as Pythagorean n-tuples. These are sets of n positive integers that satisfy the Pythagorean Theorem, such as (3, 4, 5, 6) or (5, 12, 13, 16, 20).