Sum Over a Field: Algebra, Group, Ring

• Thread starter joebohr
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Field Sum
In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of summing over a field, group, or ring, and taking integrals over them using measures. It is suggested that to take integrals, a measure must be defined on the group, ring, or field. The concept of Haar measure is also mentioned as a way to evaluate integrals. However, it is mentioned that for a sum, weights must be assigned to each element, and using Haar measure may not be possible if the elements are infinite. The possibility of finding a structure in which the sum is possible is also discussed.
joebohr
I remember encountering an instance when someone suggested that you could sum over a field other than the integers. I don't remember the exact topic, but I know someone here said it. How would one sum over a field, group, or ring? For that matter, how would you take an integral over a field, group, or ring (I don't mean field as in scalar or vector field, but rather in the sense of abstract algebra).

I wasn't sure whether to put this in the abstract algebra or analysis thread, but decided on analysis.

Physics news on Phys.org
To take integrals you need to define a measure on the group, ring, or field.

So if I define a measure μ on M, then would the integral be defined as [itex]\int[/itex][itex]_{μ}f(x)dx[/itex]=[itex]\sum[/itex][itex]^{\infty}_{i=1}[/itex]μ(A[itex]_{i}[/itex])f(x) where M=[itex]\bigcup[/itex][itex]^{\infty}_{k=1}[/itex]A[itex]_{k}[/itex]? Or would it look like something different? How would I express this integral generally for a measure μ?

Last edited:
mathman said:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haar_measure

Above is one example of how it could be done.

Ok, that's a great example for an integral, but how would you find the sum over a field/group/ring?

joebohr said:
Ok, that's a great example for an integral, but how would you find the sum over a field/group/ring?

I am not sure what you are looking for. For a sum you need to have weights assigned to each member of the group, ring, or field. It really doesn't matter whether or not there is an algebraic structure, only weights for each element.

So it's impossible to solve a problem such as:

Sum the following expression over the field of rational numbers

Ʃ 1/x

where the sum over x ranges over all of the rational numbers between 1 and 3?

If this won't work with rationals because they are infinite, can someone come up with a structure in which this sum is possible (besides the usual ring of integers, of course).

Also, if this problem were an integral over the rationals instead of a sum, how would I use Haar measures to evaluate it? I looked at the wikipedia article but it doesn't seem to be very clear.

Last edited:
Since the integers are countable, your problem can't be done using Haar measure, since every number would have the same measure.

To do anything at all you would need to assign measures to each point. Your sum would look like: Ʃ m(x)/x, where m(x) is the measure of the point x.

Related to Sum Over a Field: Algebra, Group, Ring

What is a sum over a field?

A sum over a field is a mathematical concept in which elements of a field are combined using the operation of addition.

What is an algebra?

An algebra is a mathematical structure that studies the rules of manipulating symbols and equations using operations like addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division.

What is a group?

A group is a mathematical structure consisting of a set of elements and an operation that combines any two elements to form a third element, satisfying certain properties such as closure, associativity, and identity.

What is a ring?

A ring is a mathematical structure that combines the properties of both a group and a monoid, allowing for two operations (addition and multiplication) and satisfying certain properties such as distributivity and commutativity.

What are some applications of "Sum Over a Field: Algebra, Group, Ring" in real life?

Sum over a field, algebra, groups, and rings have numerous real-life applications in fields such as physics, computer science, economics, and engineering. For example, they are used in coding and cryptography, signal processing, and quantum mechanics.