Summation by Steps: Calculus Self-Teaching Homework Help

• Thread starter bobie
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Summation
In summary, the conversation discusses the use of integration and summation in calculating the area under a curve. The individual is seeking help in formulating the operation in Wolfram and clarifying the use of decimal figures and step values. The expert summarizes the process of discrete summation and provides the appropriate syntax for inputting the operation into Wolfram. They also clarify the use of decimal figures and suggest using a specific value for x to obtain the desired result.
bobie
Gold Member

Homework Statement

I hope this is the right forum for this question.
I am starting to self-teach calculus, could you help me shape my problem?
I am trying to use wolfram:
I know that if I integrate an equation say: 5/[itex]\sqrt x[/itex], I will get the area underneath that curve
http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=+integrate+y=+5/sqrt(x)+++from+20+to+10^4

Now, I want to summate all the values we get increasing x by x or another value:
5/sqrt20 +5/sqrt40...+5/sqrt 10^4

What do you call this operation? is it still integration, by steps or what?
is it necessary to regulate dx to 20, or what
Can you help me formulate this operation :
integrate y = 5/sqrt x from 20 to 10^4 , step 20 or x or...

THanks for your help

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
What you are trying to do is just discrete summation. In integration (as interpreted in the Riemann summation sense), the width of the "boxes" that you have divided the area under the curve into approaches infinitely small.

The best way to write your desired operation is simply
[tex]\sum_{i = 1}^{500}\frac{5}{\sqrt{20i}}[/tex]

You could of course, multiply this by another factor of 20 if you want to obtain some sort of "area estimate" through finite-sized boxes.

Likes 1 person
Fightfish said:
The best way to write your desired operation is simply
[tex]\sum_{i = 1}^{500}\frac{5}{\sqrt{20i}}[/tex]

You could of course, multiply this by another factor of 20 if you want to obtain some sort of "area estimate" through finite-sized boxes.
Thanks, can you tell me how to tell that to wolfram?

Wolfram is highly versatile, and there are plenty of help options. But just to give you a quick overview of the syntax, it goes like:

Sum [ func, {counter variable, start value, end value}]

Likes 1 person
Fightfish said:
Wolfram is highly versatile, and there are plenty of help options. But just to give you a quick overview of the syntax, it goes like:

Sum [ func, {counter variable, start value, end value}]

Probably I messed it up, but there is a variable in the result and I didn't get a single value, can you fix it?
http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=sum+[+5/sqrt(k+x),{k++,+1,+10}]

Thanks, that's it.

Hi,
it seems impossible to use decimal figures, or is there a particular grammar?
Must the step be an integer , or is it possible to increase the value by a decimal , say by 1/10?
Thanks

What is summation by steps in calculus?

Summation by steps is a method in calculus used to approximate the area under a curve by dividing it into smaller rectangles and summing their areas. It is also known as the Riemann sum.

How do I calculate summation by steps?

To calculate summation by steps, you must first determine the width of each rectangle by dividing the total interval by the number of rectangles. Then, you find the height of each rectangle by evaluating the function at the left side of each rectangle. Finally, you multiply the width and height of each rectangle and add all the results together to get the approximate area under the curve.

When is summation by steps used?

Summation by steps is used in calculus to approximate the area under a curve when the exact area cannot be calculated using traditional methods. It is also used to help solve definite integrals and to find the average value of a function.

What are the limitations of summation by steps?

Summation by steps can only provide an approximation of the area under a curve, not the exact value. The accuracy of the approximation depends on the number of rectangles used, so it can be time-consuming and computationally intensive for complex functions. Additionally, this method may not work well for functions with sharp turns or discontinuities.

Are there other methods for approximating the area under a curve?

Yes, there are other methods such as the trapezoidal rule and Simpson's rule. These methods use more complex mathematical formulas to calculate the area and can provide more accurate results than summation by steps.