Summation involving von Mangoldt function

In summary: Can we approach the problem from Zeta function?Yes, this seems like a logical next step.I'll look into that.In summary, the series is divergent and may not converge.
mathslover
Please help me in solving the problem,
find the sum
Sum{r=2 to infinity} (von Mangoldt(r)-1)/r

Your help is appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
do you mean [tex] \sum _{n=2}^{\infty} \frac{ \Lambda (n) -1}{n} [/tex] ??

i think is divergent

hi mhill,
can you prove that the series is divergent?

-Ng

mathslover said:
hi mhill,
can you prove that the series is divergent?

[tex]\frac1n \sum_{k=1}^n\Lambda(k)=1+o(1/\log n)[/tex]

so your series seems to be something like

[tex]\sum\frac{1}{n\log n}\approx\log\log n[/tex]

Obviously this is very heuristic here.

OK, it diverges.

[tex]\sum_{n=2}^{\infty} \frac{\Lambda(n) -1}{n}=\sum_p\sum_{k=1}^\infty\(\frac{\log p-1}{p}+\frac{\log p-1}{p^2}+\cdots\)=\sum_p\frac{\log p-1}{p-1}[/tex]
and we all know that
[tex]\sum_p\frac1p=+\infty[/tex]

when n is a prime or prime power, the summation is okay.

but suppose when n=6, then the sum is (von Mangoldt(6) -1)/6 , which is = -1/6,

as n runs from 2 to infinity,can we settle the problem of convergency or divergency?

-Ng

mathslover said:
when n is a prime or prime power, the summation is okay.

but suppose when n=6, then the sum is (von Mangoldt(6) -1)/6 , which is = -1/6,

as n runs from 2 to infinity,can we settle the problem of convergency or divergency?

My post addressed the case where n runs from 2 to infinity, which diverges.

Hi CRGreatHouse,

In your post 1673, the summation on LHS runs from n=2 to infinity, (n=2,3,4,5,6,7,8,...)

But the summation on RHS runs over all primes.(p=2,3,5,7,...)

From the definition of von Mangoldt function,when n=6,10,12,14,15,18,... , the summand

became (-1/n) whenever n is not equal to any prime or prime power.

Is something missing ?

-Ng

mathslover said:
Is something missing ?

Right, right... yeah, I calculated it for numerator [itex]\Lambda[/itex] first, forgetting about the -1 term, and when I added it back in forgot that part.

But wouldn't that also suggest divergence (in the other direction), since the prime powers are density 0, the reciprocal primes vary as log log n, and the reciprocal integers vary as log n?

Numerical experimentation would be nice here.

I have tried numerical calculation and the sum seems to converge to ~ -1.16

Can we approach the problem from Zeta function?

-Ng

1. What is the von Mangoldt function?

The von Mangoldt function is a mathematical function that is defined as the natural logarithm of a prime number, and 0 for all other numbers. It is denoted by Λ(n) and is named after mathematician Hans von Mangoldt. It is used in number theory to study the distribution of prime numbers.

2. How is the von Mangoldt function used in summation?

The von Mangoldt function is used in a summation known as the summation involving von Mangoldt function. This summation is defined as the summation of the von Mangoldt function over all positive integers up to a given number n. It is commonly used in number theory to study the behavior and properties of prime numbers.

3. What is the significance of the summation involving von Mangoldt function?

The summation involving von Mangoldt function has many important applications in number theory. It is used to prove the Prime Number Theorem, which states that the number of prime numbers less than a given number n is approximately equal to n/ln(n). It is also used in the Riemann hypothesis, a famous unsolved problem in mathematics.

4. How is the summation involving von Mangoldt function related to the prime counting function?

The prime counting function is defined as the number of prime numbers less than or equal to a given number n. It is denoted by π(n). The summation involving von Mangoldt function is closely related to the prime counting function, as it is used in the proof of the Prime Number Theorem, which gives an approximation for π(n).

5. Are there any open problems related to the summation involving von Mangoldt function?

Yes, there are several open problems related to the summation involving von Mangoldt function. One of the most famous is the Riemann hypothesis, which states that all non-trivial zeros of the Riemann zeta function lie on the critical line Re(s) = 1/2. Another open problem is the Goldbach conjecture, which states that every even number greater than 2 can be expressed as the sum of two prime numbers.