1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Summation Question

1. Feb 25, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I need a summation where the answer is 1 2 2 2 2 2 2 2

2. Relevant equations

a(0) + sum(2*a(1) + 2*a(2) +2*a(3))

3. The attempt at a solution

I unfortunately have no idea where to start, basically it is taking a symmetrical function from 0 to N-1. where the function is symmetric from the center point.

I have an answer for it which is

a(N-1/2) + sum_n=1^(N-1)/2 (2*a[((N-1)/2) - n])

However I wanted to put it all inside the summation

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 25, 2014 #2

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

I've no idea what you mean.
    In what sense does a summation have an answer like "1 2 2 2 2 2 2 2" rather than a single number?
    What does a(0) + sum(2*a(1) + 2*a(2) +2*a(3)) mean? Do you mean a(0) + sum(2*a(1) + 2*a(2) +2*a(3) + ....)? If so, how is that different from 2(∑an) - a0?
    From the mention of symmetry, I'm guessing this comes from ##\Sigma_{n=-N}^Na_n##, where a-n = an, but I still don't understand what you wish to achieve.
    What quantity does your final equation represent?

4. Feb 25, 2014 #3
    Sorry, the "1 2 2 2 2 ..." bit was basically was how I wanted each part of the summation to equate to, so essentially it would be "1 + 2 + 2 + 2 ..."

"2(∑an) - a0" is the exact same as "a0 + 2(∑an)" with the exception that n goes from 0->N for the first one and 1->N for the second one.

Basically I want to achieve this, "2(∑an) - a0", without having to subtract the a0 at the end.

5. Feb 25, 2014 #4

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Still unclear.. are you looking for an algebraic function f(n) that takes the values f(0) = 1, f(n) = 2 for n > 1? So that you can write ∑n>=0anf(n)?

6. Feb 26, 2014 #5
    yes that's exactly what i'm looking to do

7. Feb 26, 2014 #6

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You want ##f(n) = 2-\textrm{sinc}(n)##, where sinc is the normalized sinc function:$$
    \textrm{sinc} (x) = \begin{cases}
    \frac {\sin(\pi x)}{\pi x}&x \ne 0\\
    1 & x = 0
    \end{cases}$$

8. Feb 26, 2014 #7

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Cute, but I don't see the value in this. As you note, that function has to have a separate definition at x=0. So why not use Kronecker delta? I see nothing in the thread to suggest a continuous function is required.
    JeeebeZ, why do you want such a function? What ultimately are you trying to achieve?

9. Feb 26, 2014 #8

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Agreed. But then, I don't see any point to the original question either.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted