Summer REU for international students

In summary, non-US citizen students are eligible to apply for the research experience for undergraduate programs in various US universities, but it is unclear how many are accepted and what are the criteria for selection.
siddharth
Homework Helper
Gold Member
I'd like to know if it's possible for non US-citizen students to apply for the research experience for undergraduate programs in various US universities? Many of the websites of the universities clearly state that the REU programs are only for US citizens, while others don't answer this question.

I'm an international student, and I'll be completing my third year in the april of 2008, and I was thinking of applying to the REU program in my field.

Also, if some of the programs are open to international students, does anyone know how many such students are usually accepted, and what are the criteria for selection?

Physics news on Phys.org
It is possible, but the choices are very limited.

The following are some of the schools that do not stipulate US Citizenship as a requirement for at least some REU/Summer Reasearch programs:

Caltech - Summer Undergraduate Research Fellowships
http://www.surf.caltech.edu/

Illinois, Urbana - Hughes Undergraduate Research Fellows Program (there may be other programs too, at UIUC)
http://www.life.uiuc.edu/hughes/hurf/

Case Western - contact the Chemical Eng dept to find out if they have something for international students.

Harvard - send an email to Kathryn Hollar (hollar@deas,harvard,edu)
http://www.eduprograms.deas.harvard.edu/reu.htm

Last edited by a moderator:
don't forget Williams College Math REU, they are one of the few schools that do not require US citizenship, it's called the SMALL program.

I was wondering the same thing...I go to school in Canada, but Michigan is just across the border here and I wanted to apply...I've contacted some people at the schools I'm considering, no response yet though...

check the ams.org employment page, it has links to every single REU being offered, check each and every one of those pages, it will say explicitly if you must be a citizen or not. for physics or engineering REU's, I am sure there is a similar site, GOOGLE it my friends

bump..

1. What is an REU?

An REU stands for Research Experience for Undergraduates. It is a program funded by the National Science Foundation (NSF) that provides summer research opportunities for undergraduate students in various fields of science, engineering, and mathematics.

2. Can international students participate in a summer REU?

Yes, international students are eligible to participate in summer REUs. However, each program has its own eligibility requirements, so it is important to check with the specific program to see if international students are eligible to apply.

3. How do I find a summer REU for international students?

There are several ways to find summer REUs for international students. You can search the NSF website for a list of REU programs, check with your university's research office, or reach out to professors in your field of interest for potential opportunities.

4. What are the benefits of participating in a summer REU for international students?

Participating in a summer REU can provide international students with valuable research experience, exposure to cutting-edge research, networking opportunities, and the chance to work with top scientists in their field. It can also enhance their resume and help with future graduate school or job applications.

5. Are summer REUs for international students paid?

Most summer REUs for international students are paid, with stipends ranging from $3,000 to $5,000 for the duration of the program. In addition, some programs may also cover travel expenses and provide housing and meal allowances. However, it is important to check with each program for their specific compensation and benefits.