Physics Forums Quiz - And the winner is... I like Serena!

In summary, the Physics Forums Quiz will be taking place this coming Sunday during Sunday's chat session. The quiz is just for fun and all are welcome! The quiz will take place in the dedicated quiz chat room. All interested members are invited to join and/or participate in the contest. Simply by joining the room, you are eligible to participate in the quiz. You may join and leave at any time.The first member to answer the question correctly as determined by what is displayed on the quiz master's chat screen will receive 1 point. The quiz master will acknowledge the answer by saying "{NAME} correct". The quiz master's decision is final (even if ultimately wrong! :tongue2:).Members in the
micromass
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Sunday is quiz!

Announcing the Physics Forums Quiz
Sunday October 16th 2011
20:00 GMT or 15:00 CST or 22:00 Brussels time

This coming Sunday will see another Physics Forums Quiz during Sunday's chat session. The quiz is just for fun and all are welcome! The quiz will take place in the dedicated quiz chat room. All interested members are invited to join and/or participate in the contest. Simply by joining the room, you are eligible to participate in the quiz. You may join and leave at any time.

Rules
  1. The quiz is purely for fun, anyone taking it too seriously will be slapped with a fish!
  2. The FIRST member to answer the question correctly as determined by what is displayed on the quiz master's chat screen will receive 1 point. The quiz master will acknowledge the answer by saying "{NAME} correct".
  3. The quiz master's decision is final (even if ultimately wrong! :tongue2:).
  4. Members in the chat room are asked to not carry any conversation other than answering the question, or seeking clarification during each round. There will be a break between each round where members may seek clarification on any answer that was given during the previous round. However, points will not be reallocated.
  5. Members should use white font only, with no decorations (such as bold, italics or underlining).

Format
The will be two rounds:
  1. Science, Nature & Technology
  2. History

Physics news on Phys.org

Great, I plan to partake.. but ..

History :yuck:

I'm going to miss it :( taking another practice GRE.

I hope it's ancient history!

Evo said:
I hope it's ancient history!
Just be patient Evo, it soon will be.

I hope I can play, I have so much to do for Monday.

Ivan92 said:
I hope I can play, I have so much to do for Monday.

Do it on Saturday.

I am planning to work on it the entire weekend. I was hoping for a break this weekend after studying math all last weekend (Fri-Sunday).

Reminder!

Many people will have other things to do, but I hope there will still be some people enjoying the quiz!

I might be able to make it after all, depending on what is happening with the practice exam at 4:00. I doubt very seriously I'll still be testing at that time, it will probably be all lectures by then. *crosses fingers*

people studying on a sunday?

you need to get a life!

take an hour out for the quiz and then get back to your books if needs must

I won't be able to participate. :(

20:00 GMT means around 2:30 am here. :(

micromass said:
20:00 GMT or 15:00 CST or 22:00 Brussels time[/B][/CENTER]

Call me stupid. EST is five hours behind GMT. Wouldn't that make CST 6 hours behind GMT?

Is it Daylight savings or something? Did Jesus come out of the cave and see his shadow?

DaveC426913 said:
Call me stupid. EST is five hours behind GMT. Wouldn't that make CST 6 hours behind GMT?

Is it Daylight savings or something? Did Jesus come out of the cave and see his shadow?

Yeah, I think it should be 2000 GMT or 1400 CST.

DaveC426913 said:

I think micromass intended 15:00 CDT. :smile:

If the next quiz is on Sunday 30 October, that will be interesting... :wink:

DaveC426913 said:
Did Jesus come out of the cave and see his shadow?

Not without fur, he didn't. That raises more cans of worms.

cristo said:
Yeah, I think it should be 2000 GMT or 1400 CST.
Except Amercans do not usually distinguish between CST or CDT, we always say CST, so micro is correct for Americans.

The time is 3pm CST (or 1500 military time) (yes it's also DST, but we don't change what we call it). On tv they usually just say Eastern, Central or Pacific.

Last edited:

Evo said:
Except Amercans do not distinguish between CST or CDT, we always say CST, so micro is correct for Americans.

The time is 3pm CST (yes it's also DST, but we don't change what we call it).

The confusions we get!

I found http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Central_Time_Zone_%28North_America%29" :
"In Canada and the United States, time observed in the zones is colloquially and generically referred to as Central Time (CT), while in Mexico, time in the zone is Tiempo del Centro. More specifically and officially, occupants of the American and Canadian zones are using Central Standard Time (CST) when observing standard time and Central Daylight Time (CDT) when their jurisdictions observe daylight saving time in the spring, summer, and autumn months."
If I interpret this correctly, saying CST when CDT is meant, is plain wrong (whether people do it or not).
But saying CT (colloquially) should be okay...

Last edited by a moderator:

I still don't get how both EST an CST could both be joining at 1500...

DaveC426913 said:
I still don't get how both EST an CST could both be joining at 1500...
We also don't use military time. So quiz time is 4pm EST, 3pm CST, and 1pm PST.

We be smart enough to know what time of year it be. Arrrgh. :biggrin:

Last edited:

I'm getting a headache :frown:

I like Serena said:
If I interpret this correctly, saying CST when CDT is meant, is plain wrong (whether people do it or not).
But saying CT (colloquially) should be okay...

Exactly. You would colloquially say 'central time' but, during summer, this doesn't mean CST. Just like people talk about GMT even though Greenwich is not observing this time during the summer.

The correct time is 2000 GMT, which is 3pm CDT, 4pm EDT, etc.. (and you yanks should start dealing with military time- if the rest of the world can cope I'm sure you can).

micromass said:
I'm getting a headache :frown:

It will be even worse in 2 weeks! :biggrin:

cristo said:
The correct time is 2000 GMT, which is 3pm CDT, 4pm EDT, etc.. (and you yanks should start dealing with military time- if the rest of the world can cope I'm sure you can).
But we don't use CDT, EDT, or PDT, it's culturally accepted that we use CST, EST, and PST. We know what season it is.

It's like if it's nighttime and we say the time is 2, we know it's 2am, and if it's daytime we know 2 means 2pm.

And we invented time and the seasons, so we know. :biggrin:

Evo said:
It's like if it's nighttime and we say the time is 2, we know it's 2am, and if it's daytime we know 2 means 2pm.

Did you ever wake up, look at your clock, and wonder whether it is was morning or evening? ;)

I like Serena said:
Did you ever wake up, look at your clock, and wonder whether it is was morning or evening? ;)

The worst is since the start/end dates of daylight savings has moved, my alarm clock messes up twice a year. It was great when it automatically changed...correctly... now it's just dangerous! I'm always paranoid that around that time of year I will be late for work.

Evo said:
But we don't use CDT, EDT, or PDT, it's culturally accepted that we use CST, EST, and PST. We know what season it is.

The s means standard, so CST means central standard time. How can this be a standard if it changes twice a year?

Anyway, let's use the proper definitions, since we're trying to arrange something across the world. I imagine most americans realize that they are in daylight saving, so know that their time zone would be 'xx daylight time'.

cristo said:
The s means standard, so CST means central standard time. How can this be a standard if it changes twice a year?

Anyway, let's use the proper definitions, since we're trying to arrange something across the world. I imagine most americans realize that they are in daylight saving, so know that their time zone would be 'xx daylight time'.

I wouldn't be so sure about Americans realizing they are in daylight savings time. i always thought we were "in it" during the summer. I bet I'm not the only one who has it backwards.

As a resident of Eastern time, i can tell you with certainty that the quiz will be at 4:00 for eastern time people.

Alas, if only the lady would stop talking and I could start the exam, I could make it to trivia! As of right now, it's not looking good. There is actually 2 hours and ten minutes of testing to accomplish.

So... if you have enough people for trivia, go on without me :(

But if you have too few people to do trivia, I'll be done with this by... 4:15 ish EST.

HUSH UP LADY! I'M READY NOW!

And the winner is... I like Serena!

who won an instant ban from Evo.

quiz20111016.png

and log:

http://www.bpp.com.pl/IMG/quiz20111016.htm

1. What is the purpose of the "Physics Forums Quiz"?

The purpose of the "Physics Forums Quiz" is to test participants' knowledge and understanding of various topics in physics.

2. How is the winner of the "Physics Forums Quiz" determined?

The winner of the "Physics Forums Quiz" is determined by the participant who scores the highest number of points after completing all the quiz questions.

3. Who can participate in the "Physics Forums Quiz"?

Anyone with an interest in physics can participate in the "Physics Forums Quiz". There are no restrictions on age, education level, or location.

4. Are there any prizes for winning the "Physics Forums Quiz"?

Currently, there are no prizes for winning the "Physics Forums Quiz". It is purely for fun and to test your knowledge in physics.

5. How often is the "Physics Forums Quiz" held?

The "Physics Forums Quiz" is held periodically, usually once every few months. The exact schedule may vary, so it is best to keep an eye out for announcements on the forum.