Calculate Earth's Radius with Sunset Physics | Attempt and Solution

• Thread starter Kudo Shinichi
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary, if you want to estimate the radius of the earth from the time it takes the sun to disappear, you need to know the radius of the Earth and the speed of the Earth.
Kudo Shinichi

Homework Statement

The sun sets, fully disappearing over the horizon as you lie on the beach, your eyes 20cm above the sand. you immediately jump up, your eyes now 150cm above the sand, and you can again see the top of the sun. if you count the number of seconds until the sun fully disappears again, you can estimate the radius of the earth. but for this problem use the knwon radius of the Earth (6,380km) and calculate the time t.

The Attempt at a Solution

The method that I used to attempt this question is to find out how fast the Earth moves first, which is 107,218km/h. I think this info is essential because at first I must know how fast the Earth turns in order to find out the second I will have to look at the sun before it dissapears. Then, I have no idea how to continue on with the problem, since I don't really know how to set the equation for change of the eye level related to the radius of the Earth as well as how fast the eaarth moves.

Physics news on Phys.org

Kudo Shinichi said:

Homework Statement

The sun sets, fully disappearing over the horizon as you lie on the beach, your eyes 20cm above the sand. you immediately jump up, your eyes now 150cm above the sand, and you can again see the top of the sun. if you count the number of seconds until the sun fully disappears again, you can estimate the radius of the earth. but for this problem use the knwon radius of the Earth (6,380km) and calculate the time t.

The Attempt at a Solution

The method that I used to attempt this question is to find out how fast the Earth moves first, which is 107,218km/h. I think this info is essential because at first I must know how fast the Earth turns in order to find out the second I will have to look at the sun before it dissapears. Then, I have no idea how to continue on with the problem, since I don't really know how to set the equation for change of the eye level related to the radius of the Earth as well as how fast the eaarth moves.

Isn't the key your distance to the horizon?

Can you use the approximation that 1.5 m / Distance to Horizon will be the Tan of the angle that your eye makes with the horizon for height difference x in radians is x (by Tan x ~ x for small x)?

Then won't that ratio of distance to horizon to circumference correspond with the time measured ratio to a revolution?

Doing it backward, you can calculate your distance to horizon and figure how many seconds it should take.

LowlyPion said:
Isn't the key your distance to the horizon?

Can you use the approximation that 1.5 m / Distance to Horizon will be the Tan of the angle that your eye makes with the horizon for height difference x in radians is x (by Tan x ~ x for small x)?

Then won't that ratio of distance to horizon to circumference correspond with the time measured ratio to a revolution?

Doing it backward, you can calculate your distance to horizon and figure how many seconds it should take.

Sorry I don't really get what you mean. Also, can you tell me where did you get the 1.5m from? is it the eye level for standing up? and how do you get the distance to the horizon, can i get it from Pythagoras' Theorem?

Kudo Shinichi said:
Sorry I don't really get what you mean. Also, can you tell me where did you get the 1.5m from? is it the eye level for standing up? and how do you get the distance to the horizon, can i get it from Pythagoras' Theorem?

Sorry, that should be 150cm - 20cm = 1.3m

Each second describes an angle of revolution.
There are 86400 in a day, so each second is 1/86400

Distance to horizon for each second is Circumference/86400

So your change in distance standing up can be related to time by multiplying the number of seconds you measure as:

[tex]\Delta D_{height} \approx Time * [\frac{2* \pi *r}{86400}][/tex]

1. What is the "Sunset physics problem"?

The "Sunset physics problem" refers to the phenomenon of how the sun appears to change colors as it sets below the horizon. This is caused by the scattering of sunlight in the Earth's atmosphere, which causes different wavelengths of light to be scattered more than others, resulting in the vibrant orange and red hues of a sunset.

2. Why does the sun appear to change colors during a sunset?

During a sunset, the sun's light must travel through a greater distance of the Earth's atmosphere compared to when it is directly overhead. This causes more of the shorter, bluer wavelengths of light to be scattered, leaving mostly longer, redder wavelengths to reach our eyes, which gives the sun its orange and red appearance.

3. Are there other factors that can affect the colors of a sunset?

Yes, there are other factors that can contribute to the colors of a sunset, such as the amount of particles in the atmosphere, humidity levels, and air pollution. These factors can affect how much light is scattered and can result in different hues and intensities of colors during a sunset.

4. Is the "Sunset physics problem" the same everywhere on Earth?

No, the "Sunset physics problem" can vary depending on the location on Earth. For example, sunsets at the equator may not have as vibrant colors compared to those at higher latitudes due to the angle at which the sunlight enters the atmosphere.

5. Can the "Sunset physics problem" be applied to other celestial bodies?

Yes, the "Sunset physics problem" can also be applied to other celestial bodies, such as the moon and other planets. The colors observed during a sunrise or sunset on these bodies are also caused by the scattering of sunlight in their atmospheres, similar to how it occurs on Earth.