My Experiences with Supercell Storms

• Thread starter Evo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    storms
In summary, there have been freak storms in your area in the past, and there is a chance that you may be hit by one again in the future.
Evo
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
I seem to attract these, the worst of which was baseball sized hail that only hit my neighborhood a few years ago.

I was in the kitchen tonight when I heard thunder and saw that a black cloud was directly over me and nowhere else, there was blue sky all around.

I kept telling T_E that I was being hit by supercell storms directly over me. He thought I was nuts. I turned on the tv and all broadcasts were reporting the freak supercell storms which the weatherman said "unbelievably these are appearing to be no more than two blocks wide".

Hmmmph!

Unfortunately all tv broadcasting tonight is pre-empted for weather and Medium won't be shown. :frown:

Anyone else live in an area of freak storms?

Physics news on Phys.org
cyrusabdollahi said:
See what you did to the space shuttle
You mean - http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/shuttle/multimedia/117_gallery-hail.html.

Evo said:
Anyone else live in an area of freak storms?
Once in a while, we get an intense storm. Several years ago, we had a supercell hit the area. Trees were ripped and splintered, house roofs damaged by wind, trees and branches fell into houses. The extreme damage was in a narrow band about 200 feet wide a few miles long, but either side of there was very little damage. The cell was headed toward our house, but it stopped the other side of the ridge just to the west of us. We were very lucky.

Other than that we have not had a direct hit. I have driven into storms in West Texas. They didn't look like much from a distance, but once I got into it, I basically could see outside the windshield.

About 30 years ago, I was with friends on the beach in Galveston when a heavy squal hit. The rain stung us with about 40 mph winds. We could not see anything but the sand we were standing on.

Evo, I think you live in 'tornado alley', which stretches from W. Texas to Minnesota and Wisconsin.

Our weathers usually mild, although in 1990 we got a tropical storm of some serious magnitude that lasted for quite a few days, at times winds gusted to 166 mph, that's as much as I want to see of extreme weather and I'm thankfull our country is quiet on the tennis ball sized hail stones as well, largest I've seen are probably the size of small marbles. The world record Hailstones were nearly as big as soccer balls, imagine that:bugeye: :eek:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/mai...nd07.xml&sSheet=/news/2004/11/07/ixworld.html

According to the Guinness Book of World Records, the heaviest hailstones on record weighed up to 2.2lb and killed 92 people in Bangladesh in 1986.

2.2lbs is a kilo!

Last edited:

1. What are supercell storms?

Supercell storms are a type of severe thunderstorm that is characterized by a rotating updraft called a mesocyclone. They are the most dangerous and long-lasting type of thunderstorm and can produce strong winds, large hail, and tornadoes.

2. How are supercell storms formed?

Supercell storms are formed when warm, moist air near the ground collides with cooler, drier air higher up in the atmosphere. This creates an unstable environment that is conducive for the development of severe thunderstorms. The rotating updraft in a supercell is caused by wind shear, which is a change in wind direction and speed with height.

3. What are some common features of supercell storms?

Some common features of supercell storms include a rotating updraft, a flat and anvil-shaped top, and a wall cloud, which is a lowering in the base of the storm where a tornado may form. They also often have intense lightning, heavy rain, and strong outflow winds.

4. What are the risks associated with supercell storms?

Supercell storms can be extremely dangerous and pose a threat to life and property. They can produce large hail, damaging winds, and tornadoes, which can cause significant damage. They can also lead to flash floods, lightning strikes, and power outages.

5. How can I stay safe during a supercell storm?

If you live in an area prone to supercell storms, it's important to have a plan in place for severe weather. Stay informed by monitoring weather forecasts and warnings, and seek shelter in a sturdy building or underground if a storm is approaching. Avoid standing near windows, and be prepared to take cover if a tornado warning is issued.