Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Superconductor with no current?

1. Mar 23, 2008 #1
    Hello everyone! My brother is having a science fair coming up. He is doing it over superconductors. We have the Meissner effect down just fine, but I have this idea to pass a current through the ceramic in its superconducting state. We want to show the difference in brightness of a little lamp compared to a regular wire. We are having trouble with this part. Whenever we touch both wires to the ceramic (in the superconducting state) nothing happens. The light does not glow. We can not figure out what is wrong. It should pass a current. I dont know if there is some coating around it that stops the electrons or not. Thanks for any Help!
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 23, 2008 #2
    Ohm's Law meet's Occams Razor. Where you put the wires, do the same with an Ohm Meter and check the resistance under the conditions where you thing the ceramic is in a superconducting state. If the result on the meter is larger than zero, then the ceramic is, for whatever reason, not in the superconducting state you think it is.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?