Superposed photon hitting a polarizing beamsplitter

• Thread starter jelrod45
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Photon
In summary, a user introduces themselves and explains their background in computer science and physics. They ask for clarification on the behavior of a photon hitting a polarizing beamsplitter and its relation to the double slit experiment. Another user confirms that the photon can behave as both transmitted and reflected until measured, similar to the Mach-Zehner interferometer. The original user is excited and grateful for the clarification.
jelrod45
Hey everyone,

This is my first post, but I have been here a lot looking up things for homework problems in some math and science courses. I love the community here, so here I am! I am a computer science major, and know a bit about physics, but my expertise is in software engineering, so please excuse any incorrect assumptions / elementary mistakes I may have made/thought. I have a wonderful idea, and have asked professors/colleagues and have not been able to find a definite answer. So I am turning here.

Dealing with polarity of photons, take horizontal polarity to be <1,0> and vertical polarity to be <0,1> (looking at the photon moving straight at/away from you).

Say you have a polarizing beamsplitter, which to my understanding will transmit one polarization of a photon and reflect the opposing polarization. Given this definition of a polarizing beamsplitter, it seems like what would logically happen if a photon with polarity <1,1>/√2 were to hit a polarizing beamsplitter, the photon would have 1/2 chance of being transmitted and 1/2 chance of being reflected.

If this is correct, then it also seems like this case would be analogous to the famous double slit experiment. Would it be correct to interpret the activity of the photon as being both transmitted and reflected until measured after the beamsplitter? More explicitly, would the activity of the beamsplitter collapse the superposition of the polarity of the photon immediately, or would subsequent activity applied to the photon not be "applied" until a measurement decides whether the photon is transmitted or reflected.

I am considering writing a paper on optical computing that is dependent on such activity, and definitely need to know the ins and outs of all of this before choosing this as my topic.

I will be glad to clarify any ambiguities in the question and am looking forward to hearing what you all think!

Thanks for your help!

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi, Welcome to PF :)

jelrod45 said:
Would it be correct to interpret the activity of the photon as being both transmitted and reflected until measured after the beamsplitter?
Yup, in fact the photon can be made to interfere with itself!
3402008727_618b1fca26.jpg

This is the quantum version of the Mach-Zehner inferometer.

That is excellent! I thought that this would be the case, but a few people in one of my classes weren't sure about it, so I needed to get a more qualified opinion. This is super exciting. Thank you for your answer!

1. What is a superposed photon?

A superposed photon is a type of quantum particle that is in a state of superposition, meaning it exists in multiple states at the same time.

2. How does a polarizing beamsplitter work?

A polarizing beamsplitter is a device that uses the principles of polarization to split a beam of light into two separate beams. It does this by allowing light with a certain polarization to pass through, while reflecting light with a different polarization.

3. What happens when a superposed photon hits a polarizing beamsplitter?

When a superposed photon hits a polarizing beamsplitter, it will be split into two separate beams, each with a different polarization. This is because the photon is in a state of superposition and can exist in multiple states at once.

4. Can a superposed photon be measured after hitting a polarizing beamsplitter?

Yes, a superposed photon can be measured after hitting a polarizing beamsplitter. However, the measurement will only determine the state of one of the beams, as the other beam will still be in a state of superposition.

5. What applications does superposed photon hitting a polarizing beamsplitter have?

The application of superposed photon hitting a polarizing beamsplitter is mainly in quantum optics and quantum computing. It allows for the manipulation and control of individual photons, which is essential in these fields.