Superposition, interference and mathematical description

In summary: This results in destructive interference, causing the part of the film to appear dark to the student. In summary, path difference is the difference in the distance traveled by two waves to reach a single point, which results in a phase difference between the waves. This phase difference can cause either constructive or destructive interference, depending on the wavelength and path difference. In the case of the soap film, a path difference of \frac{\lambda}{2} (or 180 degrees) results in destructive interference and a dark appearance to the student.
Air
I understand that this concept is about 2 (or more) waves meeting in constructive (when waves are added to form larger amplitude wave) or destructive (when waves are subtracted to form smaller amplitude waves) inteference but I don't really understand what path difference is about?

I've read up and it shows me many numerical interpretations but I can't understand how I can relate it to superposition.

It would be helpful if someone can explain the concept of path difference. Thank you in advance. :smile:

Science news on Phys.org
Say you have two waves that converge at a singe point. To determine the resulting superposition, you need to know their relative phase. If you know their phase at some earlier point (their origin, perhaps) and how far they traveled to get to the destination, you can figure out their phase. If both waves started out with the same phase, you can determine their phase difference by comparing the difference in the paths that each took. (Think of the path length as measured in wavelengths.) The "path difference" will tell you their relative phase. If they started out in phase, but one traveled an extra quarter wavelength (say) the path difference would be [itex]\lambda/4[/itex], which corresponds to a phase difference of 90 degrees.

So if two waves started out in phase and had a path difference of [itex]\lambda/2[/itex] when they arrived at the destination, they would be 180 degrees out of phase and would demonstrate destructive interference.

Make sense?

Last edited:
Yes, It does. Thank you.

But, I have one more question...
If two waves are out out phase by [itex]90^{\circ}[/itex], would this cause constructive interference? I thought constructive interference is caused when the waves meet in phase so would this have the same affect but their amplitude would not be as large?

Completely constructive interference would occur when the phase difference is an integral multiple of [itex]2 \pi[/itex] (360 degrees); Completely destructive interference would occur when the phase difference is [itex] \pi[/itex] (180 degrees). Any other phase difference--such as 90 degrees--would give you something in between.

But you are correct that two waves out of phase by 90 degrees would have a resultant amplitude greater than either one but less than their sum.

Sorry, for bringing back this thread back but my question is related to path difference.

Q: The path difference is [itex]2.22 \times 10^{-7}m[/itex] in the soap film. The wavelength of the yellow sodium light in the soap film is [itex]4.44 \times 10^{-7}[/itex]. Explain why the part of the film appears dark to the student.
A: The answer said that the path difference is [itex]\frac{\lambda}{2}[/itex] so waves will meet in antiphase.

Isn't [itex]\frac{\lambda}{2}[/itex] equal to [itex]90^{\circ}[/itex] out of phase so it wouldn't meet in antiphase? I agree there may be some destructive interference but I thought waves wouldn't meet in antiphase as it is [itex]180^{\circ}[/itex] out of phase.

Air said:
Isn't [itex]\frac{\lambda}{2}[/itex] equal to [itex]90^{\circ}[/itex] out of phase so it wouldn't meet in antiphase?
No, a complete wavelength equals 360 degrees of phase difference (and thus in phase), so [itex]\lambda/2 = 180[/itex] degrees (and thus perfectly out of phase).

1. What is superposition?

Superposition is a principle in physics that states that when two or more waves or particles are present in the same space, the resulting wave or particle is the sum of the individual waves or particles. This means that the properties of the combined wave or particle can be described as a combination of the properties of the individual components.

2. How does interference occur?

Interference occurs when two or more waves interact with each other. This can result in either constructive interference, where the waves combine to create a larger amplitude, or destructive interference, where the waves cancel each other out. The type of interference depends on the phase difference between the waves and the relative amplitudes of the waves.

3. What is the mathematical description of superposition and interference?

The mathematical description of superposition and interference is based on the principle of linearity, which states that the output of a system is proportional to its input. This can be represented mathematically using vector addition or complex numbers, depending on the type of waves being considered.

4. How are superposition and interference applied in real-world situations?

Superposition and interference have many applications in various fields, including optics, acoustics, and quantum mechanics. In optics, they are used to explain phenomena such as diffraction and interference patterns. In acoustics, they play a role in the production and perception of sound. In quantum mechanics, they are fundamental principles that govern the behavior of particles at the subatomic level.

5. What are some common misconceptions about superposition and interference?

One common misconception about superposition and interference is that they only occur with waves. In reality, these principles also apply to particles, as seen in the double-slit experiment in quantum mechanics. Another misconception is that superposition and interference are the same thing, when in fact, superposition is the principle that allows interference to occur. Finally, some people may mistakenly believe that superposition and interference only occur with visible light, when in fact, they can occur with any type of wave or particle, such as sound waves or electrons.